What's new

How to Connect TOSLINK digital audio out to Bluetooth Audio IN? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
I am stumped by this one - the geniuses at LG chose to only put a digital audio out option on their new LED flat panel. I have no digital audio in on my receiver, and i'd prefer NOT To use a digital to analog converter - don't want another transformer to plug in.So, I was wondering if anyone can suggest a way to connect the digital audio out TOSLINK to the bluetooth audio in jack on my receiver?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Can I ask why you are going this direction? If you have a reciever, you're generally best to have everything start there. Connect your TV to the video out on your reciever; and have your components to the "ins" on the receiver. Then the digital out on the TV means nothing.

[email protected]

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
what you are saying makes sense except in my case - my tv has millions of inputs (HDMI, USB, ETC) and the receiver has very few and they are only either RCA style or, oddly enough, one bluetooth in.

In addition, depending on the program source sometimes the TV speaker is sufficient and i don't like having to bother turning the receiver on unless i want enhanced audio.

Why LG chose to make the TV with more inputs than anyone could ever use and only ONE audio output option is a brainbender to me.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a digital to analog audio converter (TOSLINK IN, RCA out)

which does not require its own power source?

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome Ken

This is not the answer you want to hear. You upgraded your TV and now It's time to upgrade your receiver. All of those connections on your LG are their for the connection of various inputs with the assumption that you don't connect a receiver. If you decide that you want a receiver the electronics industry not just LG has decided that the receiver will become the hub of your system where all connections are made. Their are many benefits to doing this. One big one is you minimize the number of cables going too your TV to a AC power cord and one HDMI cable. Plus the receiver is a better switch to control all of your equipment both AV and audio only.

Even if you were able to make an audio connection from your TV to your receiver unless that signal came from the TV's built in tuner the signal will be downgraded to a 2 channel stereo when passed to your receiver.

I also don't understand why anyone would want to listen to the crappy speakers that come with today's TV's when the have a quality surround system as part of their HT.

[email protected]

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
OK here's the receiver link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E2UKSU/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

its a sherwood RX4503 (please don't laugh:)

I know its crap but it suits my needs just fine and I don't have Bernanke's printing press to buy the high end.

MY TV is an LG 55LE5400

here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039JBXVY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1

As a work around I took the headphone out from the LG and connected it to the front EXT IN jack on the sherwood, but the problem with this is twofold:

1) I cannot use the onboard TV speakers while the headphone jack is in use, and I have to keep the TV volume at 100% to pass a full signal to the receiver.

2) the bass end is a tad washed out this way.

Ideally I'd prefer a way to take the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT from the LG TV and feed it into the bluetooth audio on in the sherwood, or alternatively one of the analog component ins, but without requiring another AC adapter for a DAC.

Or, I might toy with the idea of a new receiver - any recommendations in the sub $300 range?

thank you

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by [email protected]

I know its crap but it suits my needs just fine and I don't have Bernanke's printing press to buy the high end.

Clearly, it is NOT suiting your needs at all. As Casey pointed out, the digital audio output from your TV will only actually pass digital multichannel audio for material picked up and tuned by the TVs internal tuner.

Even if you DID find a way to connect the digital output to your receiver, you would NOT get any 5.1 audio, so in essence, it would not be a "solution" to your problem.

Your problem is a receiver that is ill-equipped to suit your needs. Everything will be much simpler when you get a receiver that can adequately serve as the hub of your system. TVs are NOT designed to do this.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

Clearly, it is NOT suiting your needs at all. As Casey pointed out, the digital audio output from your TV will only actually pass digital multichannel audio for material picked up and tuned by the TVs internal tuner.

Even if you DID find a way to connect the digital output to your receiver, you would NOT get any 5.1 audio, so in essence, it would not be a "solution" to your problem.

Your problem is a receiver that is ill-equipped to suit your needs. Everything will be much simpler when you get a receiver that can adequately serve as the hub of your system. TVs are NOT designed to do this.

Just to warn you in advance when you do get your new receiver, you won't be able to use your TV's built in speakers when the receiver is turned off without doing a second set of connections from from each of your audio sources to the TV. Under this arrangement you TV becomes nothing much more than a computer monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks