What's new

How to connect MAC Powerbook to a home A/V system? (1 Viewer)

Gary Schatz

Auditioning
I have a late 2011 Powerbook Pro which should allow one to connect to the tv using an HDMI cable after using a Thunderbolt output from the computer to an HDMI cable into the TV. The picture was perfect but no sound. The reason is there are no speakers with th plasma tv. I run my sound through an Onyo DS 989. So I got an optical link (MINI) to Toslink and plugged it in to my third optical input on the a/v receiver- SILENCE. Then I switched it to the 2nd optical input by first removing theDVD input. Voila it worked so the issue is with the third jack. What do I need to do to either activate the Third Optical?

Thank you

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You have to into the AVR's menu and assign the optical to an input. A long time ago, you had to do it for the opt you use for DVD.

Gary Schatz

Auditioning
Thanks

I never did that as my son was the tech wiz. Hedid the work. Could you give me a set of indtructions I could follow

Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Been ages since I played with a DS. There should be a set of buttons near the DS display of "up, down, left and right" with a setup button close. These could be the same buttons you use to toggle radio stations by frequency and preset(again, been awhile)Press setup. Toggle up and down till you see "input set up"(or something close).Hit enterToggle up and down till you find the input you want to use. Then toggling left/right sends you through the "not yet assigned" inputs(for digital).Those buttons may not be on the remote. Some variation of up/down and left/right is how you set everything up.Later, when not using my phone, I'll try to look up a pic of a DS. Hopefully I find this one, but all DS are similar.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, the AVR doesn't have set-up buttons on it...

They are on the remote. I can't find a decent picture of the remote though. IF you post one, I can tell you what buttons to push and the basic "get around the menu" procedure. It isn't complicated.

Bonus with this AVR. Even though it is "obsolete", you can remove the three pins in the upper left rear and use this AVR as the power for your front three speakers...provided your new AVR has pre-outs like this one does.

Or if you sell it...it still commands a decent amount on the used market because of the pre-outs and pre-ins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks