1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

how to connect cable box, A/V receiver and TV

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by vacantstare, Jul 4, 2013.

1. vacantstare

vacantstare New User

Dana
    Hello folks, I'm trying to set up an inexpensive home theater with the following components:

Panasonic Viera tc-l37s1
    Sony STR-DH540
    Motorola DCT 2500
    Roku

I have the roku/receiver/tv part working fine, but I am not sure how to get the signal from the cable box to the tv through the receiver.

Cable box has no HDMI, and the receiver has no S-video, so I am using the rca style Video feed.

Initially, the only connection I had from the receiver to the TV was the HDMI, and that worked fine for carrying the Roku signal, but not the signal from the cable box. I worked around it by running the video RCA cable directly from the cable box to the tv, but it seems like there should be a way to pipe that signal to the receiver, then on to the tv.

Do I need one RCA cable from the cable box to the receiver, and another from the receiver to the tv?

thanks!

2. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    The Sony 540 doesn't do analog to digital video conversion so you would need a composite connection from the 540 to the display. But s-video is a better option then composite so I would use an s-video cable from the cable box to the display.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Or, call your cable company and upgrade to a HD STB.

4. Sabby

Sabby Member

Rick
    You will not get high definition to the TV with S video or composite. Since your receiver does not have component video out your options are to leave it the way you have it wired or get a new cable box.I would try to get a new cable box as schan1269 suggested