What's new

How to conect a car amplifier in my home? (1 Viewer)

Williams16

Grip
Real Name
Guillermo Bethancourt
Sorry if this post couldn´t be here I will move it if not. I was reading about how to connect a car amplifier in home.

I know we can use a Computer Power Supply (PS) and the 12v line it have, but I know about regulation problems and all this stuff.

If someone know somebody who know about this, please post what to do.

If someone know, please explain how to do it using a PS.

Thanks for your future posts.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't do it. A computer PS doesn't put out enough amperage to properly run a car amp larger than 25w/channel. If you want to run anything larger you will need the proper sized AC to DC converter. Ones that put out a steady 50 amp supply of power cost a couple of hundred dollars. For that price you can easily get an amp designed to run on AC current to power whatever speakers you need to run.

-Robert

Williams16

Grip
Real Name
Guillermo Bethancourt
I know about people who did it in internet, But I don´t know how exactly to do it.

I Know it don´t have enought ampers but people could run their car ampifier in home.

What I want is how to do it doesn´t matter if the power supply could not .

I know it could run it I want to know how

Please if you know post how to.

Thanks people

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
He just told you how to do it correctly and why it is a bad idea. Do it some other Mickey Mouse way and you run the risk of damaging your amp and speakers and possibly yourself.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Using a PC atx psu, hook the amp (+) up to a drive molex plug using the yellow lead, hook the rem power on lead of the amp to the yellow lead as well, hook the amp (-) up to a drive molex plug using one of the black leads. Short out the green wire on the motherboard molex to any black lead to turn the atx psu on. If using an AT psu then just turn it on with the normal switch.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Can't imagine that a power supply will last long under extreme demands like a car amplifier.

Williams16

Grip
Real Name
Guillermo Bethancourt
I already did that but my PSU shut down in two seconds max. I don´t know why my PS shut off inmediately when I connect it to the amplifier, because if I donpt have anything connect the PS run normally. The problem is when I hook it up to the amplifier.

Why is this occurring??

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Computer PSUs are only designed to output a certain amount of amperage/wattage. Say you build a computer with a 400 watt PSU and your computer parts consume an average 375 watts. Then you decide you want to play some graphic intensive game the wattage will peak above 400 watts and if the power supply isn't up to the task it will shut down during gameplay. I don't know of a computer PSU that is capable of outputing the amperage/wattage that is necessary to power a car amplifier.

A power converter is what you need, it takes wall current and converts it to a usable for 12 volt devices. It would have to take 120 volts/15 amps and convert it to 12 volts/150 amps.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
I told you how to do it, but it's still stupid. Some ATX psu's it seems will turn off if they don't sense a load on the normal leads.

haru182

Auditioning
Real Name
Chase Horman
I am just throwing this out there as this is my first of many posts on this forum. But FIRST, I have tried every possibility of connecting speakers and I am here to tell you NOT! to try the PSU/Amp thing. I have done it with an alpine F405 amp and a 400W AT power supply and the results were pathetic. A) It didn't have the power I wanted. B) It certainly seemed unsafe (and eventually did kill the PSU) and C) DAMN its hideous to look at compared to the alternative. I did all this long before I knew much of anything about electronics and as I look back I want to punch myself. Ya know what works way better?... an old stereo receiver especially if only used as an amp. As an example I have two. I have one at my desk to handle the audio for all my computers, and I have one in the main room to handle an extra set of CAR subs (If I am looking for EXTRA Bass -- I already have two powered subs... but sometimes thats not enough... haha) Yea... and the receivers are Sansui brand and they look to be from the 80's (no lighted display at all) and I found them in a dumpster. So PLEASE stop insisting that you need to do this and that its GOING to have good results just because you read it online.

Williams16

Grip
Real Name
Guillermo Bethancourt
Ok only one more question, If I connect some power supplyes in parallel can I get all the ampers I want.

Is this a good idea, or please I don´t have money to buy AC/Dc converters..
Help me with this ...

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I have one idea, actually my friend's idea. Get a good car battery and a AC powered car battery charger and hook it up that way. Though the battery may not last long, but I don't know.

Hear is a charger, capable of 900 cranking amps and car batteries have around 1000 cranking amps. It is very possible that it would work, though again I am not sure if it would be good to run the charger while the amplifier is on. I will leave it to someone else to answer that question though.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000791RBK

This is the cheapest solution I see, if it works. The parallel CPS is a bad idea though, I know that much.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This comes up from time to time around here. I wonder if the car audio forums ever see threads from people asking how to use a home amp in their cars?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Not really, but some people have hooked up the behringer feedback destroyers in-car.

No, you can't parallel two computer psus. Sell the amp and buy a home amp.

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Seth, I got another idea.
Get the alternator off of your Mustang, buy a belt, and get your hampster to exercise in his wheel :D :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Or, just park your car in your house.....

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A battery is probably your best bet as it will deliver the current and also is much cheaper than a suitable power supply. A deep-cycle marine battery would be what you want.

However, it will be steadily discharging during use, causing loss of amplifier power as voltage and available amperage drops.

The problem with traditional battery chargers is that they deliver “dirty” power, not a clean DC. So they hum badly when you use them with audio equipment.

Consider the price of the charger in the link - $130. Add the price of a battery, and you’ve sunk $200 or more. At that price you’re knocking on the door of a decent used amp, so what’s the point? Sell the car amp and put the funds towards an amp designed for the intended application.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
If you are electrically inclined then you could always build your own power supply. A transformer hooked to a diode bridge rectifier should do the trick.

Don't worry about supplying dirty power to your car amp as if it is any good already has a DC to DC convertor to clean up the dirty power that would have come from a cars power system. You could probably build a really good rectifier for under $50. It's the transformer that costs all the money.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Which probably puts us right back where we ended up: It’s more practical and cost efficient to just sell it and get a home amp.

Not to mention, if he were electrically inclined I don’t think we'd be having this discussion! :D

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread