What's new

How to choose a Projector (1 Viewer)

relaxinginmn

Auditioning
Real Name
LeRoy
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
I finished my basement and I have went and purchased a Klipsch RB-61 home theatre speakers and a Denon 3807 receiver. I am deployed for another 6 months. When I get back I would like to install a projector. I hav an area in the basement the is 14 x 17 room and has a spot where the basement windown will be. I will be getting a shade to darken the room up.

I am wondering what a person really needs to look for in a projector. I am thinking of going to 1080, do I need to go to this level? I would like to get a great pic. Do I need to make sure it is HD? What are some good ones to get? I wuold like to keep it under $2500.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

SethH

Senior HTF Member
You definitely need to make sure it's HD. Now whether it's 720p or 1080p is more debatable. The good news, I suppose, is that since you're waiting 6 months several new projectors should come out between now and then -- I assume several will be coming out right around the Consumer Electronics Show.

If you have a chance sometime you should see if you can view a DLP, LCD and LCoS projector to determine which technology suits you best. Hopefully, since you're waiting 6 months, there will be several good 1080p options in your price range.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
with a 2500 buck budget, take a look at the Epson Home Cinema 1080. Excellent PJ with many excellent reviews written up on it. Look into Carada for your screen, they make an outstanding screen with a classy look to it. 100inch screen would run you 500-600 bucks. Go for the 1080p models you'll notice the improvement on the larger screens.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
definitely wait the 6 months....lots of price drops and lots of new models by then.

relaxinginmn

Auditioning
Real Name
LeRoy
Well I have been reading some say that the 720 is fine also. What are some of the numbers on specifications. So LCD and DLP are huge differances? I am guessing my distance from where the screen to my couch will be about 11 or so feet. What kind of screen size will be the best? What are the biggest things that I should consider when reseraching?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
One thing I did before getting down to a few finalists was determine which of the two (SXRD/D-ILA won't fit your budget), LCD or DLP, was for me. Each has its shortcomings and its fans. One shortcoming for DLP that I could not ignore was the "rainbow effect" (my wife also sees them). After I determined that, it was clear that an LCD projector was in my future (and is now residing in my modest HT). As you have alloted a good chunk of time, audition each technology with a good range of products (if you can) and move on from there.

Just my 2 cents.

relaxinginmn

Auditioning
Real Name
LeRoy
Well, I dont know if my wife or myself see rainbows. I have experimented. I know she has a night headlight effect, I am guessing that might be similar to the rainbow effect. So might have to stick with the LCD also. I honestly dont know of places in Minnesota that sell projectors to test them out. Is there a site to find out, or does it come cown to making phone calls.

I have read and liked the PT AX200U. Does anyone have this one and like it?

What do most of you hook up to the projector for viewing tv? I have Satelite, so am wondering about making shelvels behind the couch and putting a dvd, receiver, and satelite box to set things up. How do you all do it?

relaxinginmn

Auditioning
Real Name
LeRoy
I have heard about the rainbow effect. I am thinking I will stick with the LCD.

I have been looking at the PT AX200U. Anyone seen this one? I am not sure where in Minnesota they sell projectors. Is there a site to find out, or do i need to do phone calling when I get back to the states?

How do you have the projector set up? What do you use for tv input, reciever, dvd player to have your theatre set up. Thinking I may have shelves on the wall behind the couch. What do others do?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have my projector on a bookshelf (top of the shelf--a short one mounted on blocks) right behind my primary viewing chair. I run everything via component at the moment as I've not found a 20-25 ft HDMI cable at a reasonable price. I use my receiver as the switcher and watch SD DVD and HDTV via a cable PVR. I plan to get a hi-def disc player next summer/fall when the third generation players are out and prices have fallen on those models that are either dual format or, at least, have an analogue audio MCH output (I don't plan to upgrade my receiver anytime soon).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks