What's new

How to buy new speakers? (1 Viewer)

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
I was told: "Lots of orders, basically. Just ran short on some components to build them."

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And did you end up getting the sub with the revised digital amp? And I think they were revising components in the speakers last Fall.

pistolmoney

Auditioning
Real Name
george
Hi I have been reading your thread about new speakers. I find it really hard to beat the B & W's. My dated equipment consists of a Sony Blue Ray, A Sony DA4es I have some B & W 800's and was going to install ceiling speakers. Now I have run out of money, so I had to put the B & W ccm80 (in ceiling speakers)

on ebay. I am selling them cheap and they have never been out of the box, other than for pictures. If anyone is interested check out my buy it now price of

$ 260 ea speaker. I have three. They are on the net for way more than that retail. Thanks and good luck with your speaker selection.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I didn't demo any B&W's - the ones I saw at my local stereo shop were outside my price range :) They certainly have their fans and I've read good things about them. And high-end B&Ws are gorgeous... The 800 series looked so nice in the showroom floor...

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm resurrecting my old thread since I might again be buying new speakers. And once again, I'm lost. I planned to stay in the SVS family. But I think I need in-wall and in-ceiling for surrounds, which rules out my first choice. And the fronts can be in-wall or free-standing, so I prefer a company that offers both for mix and match.

When I was shopping in 2010, my second favorite was Paradigm.
And more recently, I've been curious about a seeming forum-favorite, Definitive Technology (Def Tech).
And finally, an installer has recommended Triad.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Axiom offers in-walls and on-walls in addition to the standard the usual towers and bookshelf - plus, they have that "Canadian" sound (similar to Paradigm) since they were designed with specs derived out of the Canadian National Research Council.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh boy! We get to do it all over again?!?

Yippee! :D

Dave: Why are you thinking of moving to in-walls?
I don't plan this to be as intensive as the last time :) The basement space I'm turning into an HT is too narrow to conveniently place the SVS satellites I use for surrounds. And its too narrow to allow a 7.1 setup at all. Going to in-walls could allow me to go 7.1 and should improve traffic flow.

Axiom offers in-walls and on-walls in addition to the standard the usual towers and bookshelf - plus, they have that "Canadian" sound (similar to Paradigm) since they were designed with specs derived out of the Canadian National Research Council.
Axiom is also an option
Go for the B&W 800 series (or something else on that level) this time around. ;)

_Man_
Alas, B&W is still not on my shopping list. Maybe in my third home! :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm at a loss on selecting in-wall speakers. I understand free-standing, they're plentiful at retail stores to listen to. But in-wall, it's even more difficult to find a selection of speakers to audition. Def Tech, which I though was popular at BestBuy, is basically non-existent for auditioning.

Custom Installers want to sell me Triad (or Pro Audio Tech). I hear good things about Triad, but they're custom installer, so no good way to give a listen.

And now, I'm considering in-wall subwoofers too, for the dual challenge of aesthetics and use of the space.

I know it's a first-world problem, but it's still frustrating :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks