What's new

How to buy new speakers? (1 Viewer)

Okay, now I'm a little jealous ; )

You didn't say that the demo was at his place - very nice.

Were you communicating with Ed on getting discounted/free shipping?

FYI - Just in case you or someone you know is interested, my Paradigm Monitor 7s v5, and CC-290 v5 (all three in Rosewood finish) are officially for sale - $800 delivered by me anywhere within 250 miles or so of Cleveland.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, Ed lives a few miles from me, and had me over for a demo. (I was vague about who did the demo. I've since seen that he was once active on some forums and people -- such as yourself -- know him by his posts or in person. So there seems no harm in outing him :) ) He's got a 7.1 MTS system (2xMTS, 1xMCS, 4xMBS) with two box subs, I think Ultra-12/2 models. It's a nice system, obviously.

There's no break offered on shipping -- they appear to simply pass on UPS rates with no markup. There's a normal discount, as I mentioned, that's in line with the listed bundle discounts for a 5.1 MTS system. I've not pressed the matter on any other possible discounts.

I've realized the SVS MTS line is priced the same as Paradigm SE speakers. I suppose I should demo those. If I have a free afternoon, perhaps I'll see if the local Paradigm dealers have those setup.

Ed's system sounds impressive, which is to be expected. Probably be boasting some L-Series speakers soon ; )

Interesting that you mentioned the Paradigm SE series - I'm waiting for them to show up at my local audio dealer, too, so that I can compare them to the Studio series.

From my earlier post:
I was actually quite impressed with the Studios, which bodes well for the new SE1 and SE3. Hopefully, they retain the amazing clarity and transient speed of the Studios. I doubt bass performance will be as good, or general off-axis performance, but I bet you could get SE3s for $1,100 a pair.

I'm working on getting those B-stock MTS-01s, so maybe I'll be able to compare them directly soon. I might have another card up my sleeve, too...I'll know shortly...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In trying to get your B Stock units, do you talk directly with people at SVS, working to get a set? Or do you keep pinging the website and buying them as they pop up?

I think one of the dealers has the SE, but not in the best demo location. Not sure if I can get out there for at least a week.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I meant to PM you, but you've got that disabled. In your purchases and dealings with SVS, have you seen them offer modified pricing from their listed prices? Their pricing seems reasonable. But I'm curious if they've ever had "sales" or other additional discounts.

Finally verified my e-mail address : )

The M-series is 20% off of its original sales price, which makes sense as the product was a pretty big breakthrough originally. I doubt it will go down much more, if at all.

For B-stock deals, I have a contact at the plant in Youngstown, Dan. Send me your e-mail address and I'll forward your message to him explaining what you're looking for in B-stock. He should be able to take care of the rest.

Okay, so I talked to Ed. Here's our deal... Ed:
B-stock pricing won’t be much lower than A-stock. We do have a collection of ScanSpeak D3004 tweeters which were removed from original-crossover M-series speakers during our crossover upgrade project. We just set them all aside for later testing to be sure they were 100% before re-installation. If both you and Dave place your orders at the same time (his M-series 5.1 set and your MTS-01/MCS-01 front stage set), and you both use B-stock tweeters (again these are functionally perfect with full warranty, we just can’t technically sell them as A-stock) we can do 7.5% off current pricing for both of you. But that’s the absolute lowest pricing we can offer.
Other part of the deal: I will pick up everything and deliver it to your place, so no shipping costs. All I ask for is a place to stay for the night and some food and beer (you know, typical "thanks for giving me a hand" stuff ). Ed said he would love to join us for setup and listening. What do you think?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That offer should have been made thru a PM. I almost booked a flight! I prefer Heineken btw. Hot dogs/hamburgers are fine. I'll take the couch.

Seriously, if I didn't live all the way out in CA .

Yeah...I realized after I posted that...oops. But hey, I can always go back and edit it

Still, Gene, you are spot on, that offer is about as good as gets...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Doersen ). Ed said he would love to join us for setup and listening.

What do you think?

Chris, let me think on it. I wasn't planning on going B Stock. And I do have some (reasonable) concerns about entrusting $3k of new speakers to someone I've never actually met :)

Okay, I am obviously new to this. Because I'm new, the link to my eBay account keeps getting rejected. Here it is without the "http://"

members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=loltermer

P.S. - If this one doesn't go through, I'm calling it quits and waiting for the Forum Masters to do their thing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you're reading my little saga, here's an interim update :)

I'm pretty much made my decision to buy an SVS kit. However, layoffs were announced at work and I've put the purchase on hold until that takes place. I'm not worried, but I don't want to be foolishly hurried either in a big discretionary purchase.

Just now I've been figuring out what speaker wire to buy. Decided on 14 gauge, in-wall rated, from Monoprice. I will run under the floor (basement ceiling) so I want in-wall to be closer to code. And at a max run of ~25', running 4 ohm speakers, I'm on the edge between 14 g and 16 g so I'll be conservative.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm on the edge between 14 g and 16 g so I'll be conservative.

$3000 worth of speakers deserve at least 14g and I strongly suggest the 12g. I've bought both from Monoprice. The 12g is worth the little extra $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks