What's new

How to bottom a SV Sub. (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
The guys are watching a DVD Sat. Suddenly I hear, “Hey Mom, your sub just made a weird noise”
&! @??
What do you mean a weird noise? What noise?!
“It made a bang”
A bang?…. you mean a CLACK?!!
“Yes, that sounds like it exactly…it did sound just like a clack.”
You mean a sound like a CLACK, - like it was hitting the base plate!!!!
“Yep.”

My brain is instantly busy: this means an upgrade. I’ve got to call SVS and sort out what I have to have to not bottom out a sub, in this tiny room. I really thought a PC-Ultra would be enough for this tiny space….what is it going to cost me to get a sub with enough built-in overhead that these guys can not possibly ruin it!

I say, How many times did you hear this?
“About 4 or 5 times”
URGGHHHHHHH!
I say, Well, TURN it down. I’ll be right there.
They ask me to wait till the movies over. I say alright, - but keep the main volume down for the duration.

I go to check it out. I start running a demo, - 2 dB’s up from the volume level they left it at, cringing waiting for the “CLACK”. No clack after running it up in 2db volume increments for a total of 6 dB higher, at this point I chicken out. I don’t WANT to hear it clack (I never have). I start scrolling through menus.

Best memory when last calibrated. Mains and surrounds were fluctuating between -14 to –12 for 80dB level in the room. Sub was at –8.
Then I scroll to "sub" in the calibration menu. It is at 0dB!!!!!!!!!

This is what they can’t do:
They can’t get the system on the right source when they accidentally throw it into the wrong input. They call on me for this. They can’t check and resolve basic issues, as when I came home the other night, and my husband and sons were watching a DVD, and said, “Something is wrong with your Outlaw system, we’re afraid your amp or prepro are broke, we have your surround on, but only the sub is playing the rest of the speakers are off. So we left the surround on (so we can hear the sub) and used the display speakers”
I pull out the remote, scroll the input config. Everything’s fine, I think, Wait a second, sub has sound? No speakers,- The sub is self-powered!. I go over to the Outlaw 770, bottom shelf on the rack for weight. The dogs tail-wagging (his bed is right in front of it) had hit the main power button on the amp, which is off!

This is what they can do:
….the only thing they have bothered to learn, is how to get into my prepro menu, and run the sub level up!!!!!!

Can’t the receiver/pre manufacture’s come up with a Parental-Spouse password-protected lock menu!
No a one of them, will ever admit to doing it.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Can’t the receiver/pre manufacture’s come up with a Parental-Spouse password-protected lock menu!
No a one of them, will ever admit to doing it
__________________________________________________ __

Love your story Mary. Been there a 100 times myself with 2 teenage daughters and my wife. Admittedly a few times it's been my fault, but most generally its the "I didn't do it Dad" routine. "Ok I guess it did it on it's own then" Never has been the SW setting though. I guess that would be more of a boy temptation?

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I guess that would be more of a boy temptation?

...all males here. Even the animals. I am surrounded.
On the otherhand...
I have very little objections to overcome when expending budget on my HT hobby..."More bass, how much wattage? Sounds good Mom, when is it coming."
I even heard one son tell a friend, "My Mom is a little different, her idea of fun is looking at subwoofers. Hey, we're happy to get the side benefits of it, our house is better than the theater now!"
...look for silver linings where you can find them. :)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have very little objections to overcome when expending budget on my HT hobby
__________________________________________________ ____

Wish I could relate but things are getting much better. I just told my wife that I'll be bringing another sub into the house here soon and our conversation regarding, only lasted maybe a minute or so with no course words:)

>>>...look for silver linings where you can find them.:)

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
If they're really just having a hard time making it work right, then the solution may be in a remote control.

After a year or so of having a decent HT system, my wife had come to love and anticipate watching her favorite Disney flicks in full glorious 5.1 surround. But she just never could get the hang of the 5 or 6 different settings that have to be just right in order to achieve this. So I'd come home to her watching Mulan with the TV set to the ZOOM instead of FULL and listening to the 49 cent speakers built into the TV when I've spent almost $2000 to make it sound RIGHT.

All that ended when I bought a $30 Radio Shack All-In-One remote with the JP1 header in the battery compartment. With an interface cable and some freeware I can connect to the remote through the JP1 header and have even more programmability than is intended by RS.

After some trial-and-error efforts with programming macros I now have a remote that makes my system so incredibly easy to use. A single button will turn on everything needed to watch a DVD, switch all inputs to the correct setting and switch off any other components that might be on. Something not working right? Accidently mess up an input setting? Just hit the button again; it will resolve itself.

I'm not sure how powerful the Outlaw remote is, but I highly recommend finding a powerful, easy-to-use remote and programming it (usually with extensive use of macros) to the point that it makes your system idiot-proof ... or in your case male-proof.

Locking out the pre-pro sub-level is another matter. But perhaps some subterfuge could help. If you buy a new remote, just don't learn one of the keys necessary to access that setting. Or hide it in some unexpected key/menu. Then lock the original remote away.

Of course, being men, they'll just resort to something even more annoying like changing the gain setting on the PC-Ultra's plate amp. Then you get to spend 15 minutes re-calibrating. Yay!!!

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
There are some prepros that have password protection for the setup menus, I own one (Anthem AVM-20). I don't use the feature myself, but I am certain it would restrict adjustment of any setting requiring the user to enter the setup menu.

What I am not certain of is if it would prevent the user from using the speaker level overrides directly accessible from the remote. Given that my daughter is getting old enough to be dangerous and your story, I think it is time to check this out.

Michael

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
I wish my mother was a home theater freak like you Mary. Alas, my mom and dad need detailed written instructions on how to watch a DVD and record a tv show. Sigh. ;)

Edwin

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I had to buy a Pronto remote just so my father wouldn't screw up my video settings on the projector. He still manages to do occasionally.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
One more vote for universal remote. The Harmony remotes are "activity based" and so easy to use. My wife, 5 year old and baby sitter were able to use them with 10 seconds of instruction. There are buttons on top for "watch a movie" or "watch tv" or "listen to music." You can add more "watch dvd w/surround" or "watch tv w/surround" if you want. You program the remote to tell it to do any of those "activities" and then which component is to be used for corresponding sound etc. Just hit the activity you want and it sets all of the video and audio inputs according to your programmed preferences and away you go. A must.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Ryan, you guessed it! Been there- done that! The remote is a good idea, but does not solve all versions of Sub sabotage, I think the one son did take heed hearing this recent negative feedback. He’s plenty old enough to start appreciating the ramifications since he now buys his own subs for his car. It was more a fading behavior (I thought?!) the last 3 years when originally their go-rounds began as I started to build a system and they got excited in a “no amount is too much” way regarding bass and the LFE channel.

Originally I had a small 18 x 20ish box sub. They bothered to learn which remote and which menu and bumped the levels a couple of times. I read the riot act out. DO NOT TOUCH THE LEVELS UNLESS YOU ASK. I had to laugh- when I figured out why upon checking the pre internal levels were the same; but the old sub suddenly became much more boomy with increasing port noise) They had stuck to a literal interpretation of my warning focusing on the word ‘remote” and they did think it out. The gain on the sub magically rotated to 90something degrees.

I thought they were a little beyond that now and noticed that the new SV control plate, is much deeper back, you can not reach it without pulling the display forward. A few of their friends are over with enough regularity to have become vaguely familiar with digging through menus. Could be one of them.
Probably time for a new family and friends conference centering on a HANDS OFF MY SUB, theme.
I ought to ck my Outlaw manual, have not been in it a loooong time. Maybe I have a password lock ?
Wouldn’t I feel silly.

Actually I do need a new remote, but as posted above they do know the gain knob. I originally spent a weekend 3 years ago coding a Sony LCD learning remote, which handled all, with some limitations in menus and macros I did not like. When I changed so much of the system and thought I would upgrade the remote, I quit using it. I will shop for a new one at some point.

Thank you Edwin! I do love (or at least admire-respect the talent involved) many of the same things which interest my husband and sons. Some, I have downright appropriated like the family, HT. When it comes time for you to choose a significant other, look for a person with WTDR.
(wide-tolerance dynamic range) :)
my mom and dad need detailed written instructions. Choose wisely and this too, might pass.[/size][/font]

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Mary,

I had a similar problem with no one but me being able to figure out how to watch a DVD. I bought a Harmony remote and it solved all of this. No need to program it or anything (I hate programming stuff). You just input your devices, hook the cable up to your computer, and it downloads all the codes for you. Press Watch TV for tv. Watch Movie for Movie, etc. It can't get simpler.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Mary, you're my hero..!!! Although my gf can actually turn things on (most of the time), I'd freak if she was messing with any settings or such. I find it priceless in knowing a lady who is actually the "master" of the HT system ..........
I have my entire system above my RPTV now but several years ago, I had it lower and my 2 year old seemed to have a thing about "dials"............one day I turned the system on and we were almost blown out of the house........ my son had rotated the receiver volume to full on........the sub was shredded..........but the silver lining there was, it gave me a reason to check out subs.... and that's when I discovered SVS........

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
I'm so glad my Lexicon pre-amp has default power-on volume and protect settings mode.

and a girlie that's really into HT? Will you marry me? :D

Bill Polley

Second Unit
Lena,

Consider turning the Outlaw's sub gain all the way up and turning the gain on the SVS down. I don't know how this will sound (grainy, hissy, etc.) but if it sounds good this way then turn the Outlaw back down 2 or 3 points and adjust the SVS, then SUPERGLUE the gain knob on the SVS!!!:D Problem solved!

Willscary

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Hi WillScary! long time no [read]. Yes, I can see it now. I get a few drops superglue on my fingers, and it is me and my SVS, together FOR-EV-ER.

Really, I’m think I’m safer now. Some men just have to be shown. I have been fussing at them for years about running the bass trim/vol up in cars ect, warning them they will pay out in drivers later. The one son who heard it, was impressed with the demo of what can happen.

glad my Lexicon pre-amp lets see, what else do you have besides the lexicon? Compose a system list and I’ll review your specs………..NAW, I’m a bread and butter Outlaw girl. :D

I am the odd ball sister. My brother looked at me a year ago, when I tried to explain the future end of analogue, (as he knows it) in his living room display. He looked at me like I was insane. Then 6 months ago, he says, (with I’m not kidding, big round wide shocked eyes) Hey, on the 10: O’clock news, I just heard “Our tv’s would be obsolete” tell me again, what was that, you were talking about!
This month I’m helping him shop for his new display. And he wants to know the diff between EDTV and HDTV.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
Thanks SLL! After the ugliness of the dreaded Outlaw haters here, I became more of a "lurker". By the way, my 950 will be the hub in my theater for a long, looooong time, as will my Axioms and my SVS. The only thing that may change in the forseeable future is the DVD player. I really am considering a universal player just so I can keep up to 3 year old technology!

Other than that, I am begging to become a beta tester for either of the new receivers. Man I would love to replace my NAD 7175 (1986 version) with the 2150. Then I would have a reason to buy another SVS!

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Ah, the good ol' Outlaw group. :)

I too am looking forward to the 2150. Hopefully it will be another great performer.

More on topic, I once bottomed my SVS out and I almost jumped out of my skin it scared me so badly. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks