What's new

How to backup / restore Outlook emails? (1 Viewer)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I am planning to re-install everything on my PC, but don't really like the idea of losing all my emails. And I am totally confused as to how to back up all the emails in the various folders, then restore them. I want to get this right so I am not screwed when they are gone. Its Outlook XP, not Outlook Express or anything. Thanks.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Everything should already be in a .pst file. Outlook, unlike Outlook Express, keeps it all in one file, unless you start exporting to extra .pst or .ost files.

Click on File >> Data File Management to see which file and it's location.

You might also want to use the Save My Settings Wizard which comes with Office XP. This will allow to keep all your adjustments to views etc and also makes getting your Outlook up and running an awful lot easier. It wont remember passwords for security reasons, but it keeps just about everything else.

Mike Pottr

Auditioning
Heres a easier way then looking for the files. Go to file then select import and export then choose export to a file. When it asks you for the file type to create choose personal folder file (.pst) At the folders screen click the check box labeled including subfolders then choose the top folder that all the other ones are branched off which is usually personal folders. Then click ok the next window will want a directory and file name so either use the default or choose your own then click finish and it will back everything up. I do this weekly and burn it to cd along with other important files

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks