What's new

How safe is it to buy a TV through eBay? (1 Viewer)

Leo_P

Second Unit
I was all set to buy a Philips 34PW9818 34" CRT HD monitor, but then I came across this Toshiba and now I'm seriously considering buying it.
I've never bought anything through eBay and this is a hell of a way to start out, with a $2k purchase.:frowning: I guess I'm looking for feedback on eBay in general and about buying something like a TV specifically. The seller seems to have good feedback, but I'm just leery of handing over 2 large.
I can get the Philip's locally for like $130 more than the Toshiba. Plus, I'd still have to lug it home. If I get the Toshiba, it gets delivered. I'm sure I'd be happy with either set, I just don't want to get stiffed.
So what do you guys think? Should I just get the Philip's (and the peace of mind)?

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator
If the seller suggests an escrow service do not use the one he suggests! This is currently the biggest scam on Ebay, sellers setting up professional looking fake escrow services to lull buyers. Millions have been lost.
Use only Ebay's service. It's what? $20 or something?
MSNBC Article about the problem.

Leo_P

Second Unit
Thanks a LOT Jerry!:emoji_thumbsup: I read that article and that's scary stuff.
I think I'm gonna steer clear of eBay, for now. At least for this purchase. Guess I'll just get the Philips and lug it home my own self.:D

Mike Stempo

Auditioning
I am almost finished outfitting and installing my home theater. The only piece that I bought locally at the audio store was my RPTV (Pioneer Elite PRO730HD) because of "free" install, local attention, knowing these guys from past dealings, and hearing about some horror stories about stuff shipped by freight gorillas. My cost was essentially breakeven after factoring in the cost of shipment, insurance, adders for special consideration getting in to my house, etc. Plus freebies and quick attention should something go wrong or not be to my liking. The store is ten minutes away.

Bought other stuff on the internet otherwise like Outlaw's 200W amp and pre/processor and subwoofer (Hsu Research)
.:)

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest you buy such an important piece somewhere reliable, like the previous post said. Ebay, to me, sucks. I know a friend who got ripped off on a receiver. The problem for the seller is that he didn't realize how crazy the buyer was. He won't be selling anything on ebay again. Or moving his arms. Crazy, crazy people out there, buy somewhere you know provides lasting service. I tell you what, check out Tweeter. They have this sick plan where if you buy a 5000 dollar set, you have a 5000 dollar credit. So if you want to purchase the new upgraded model the next year or two that's 5500, you pay 500 bucks. The best idea ever, you spend more money in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks