What's new

How popular is your last name? (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yay! I don't exist! :)

It was always nice to say ten years ago, "If you forget my phone number, I'm the only (insert my last name here) in the phone book." I'm not sure if that still the case, but if it isn't, I'm still only one of a few.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Wow. I thought my surname would rank well down on an American list, but it's #1668 even in the US of A.

Here in Singapore it's #3 I think, certainly top 5. Although in China it doesn't quite make top 10.

As an aside, the Chinese have relatively few surnames, indeed the old-fashioned term for the "common people" or "masses" was "the old 100 surnames". IIRC there are only about 3,000 in reasonably regular use in China. Making it all the more confusing considering there are over 1 billion Chinese...

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

You have those reversed. :) Williams is shockingly #3... I guess I should have guessed since when I lived in Tulsa there were 3 David Williams in the metro area with my middle initial.

The funniest thing that ever happened to me, name-wise, when I was in the waiting room of my doctor's office. Apparently there were 2 David Williams seeing different doctors that morning and the office staff didn't figure everything out until both of our records had been thoroughly messed up.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Amusingly, my surname Hauptman is 16219 in ranking, but if I use the proper Slavic feminine form, Hauptmanova, it is non existent on this particular list.

I want to change it to the Slavic form, so I can get native German speakers off my back about the "wrong" pronunciation.

It will also enable me to dodge the "Hauptman Society of America," who keep listing me as a member, despite the fact my dad, who was Czech, only emigrated to the US in the 1950s. The ancestry these guys are listing is for the descendants of a Hessian soldier who deserted during the American Revolution.

I used to get VERY strange phone calls from people looking into a society listing guide, including one who went BALLISTIC when I told him I was NOT his girlfriend; he started screaming obscenities, that I was LYING to him! I finally wrote the society a very nasty letter, on top of polite ones I had already sent, to get them to stop trying to contact me or add me to their family registry. They did not appreciate the threat of legal action.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
It doesnt take an expert to know mine didnt make the list , lol ! If there was a listing only for greece , it would easilly make the top 10 list !

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I'm at 632. Having a last name which is quite common in several European countries/languages, this comes as no surprise.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Common would be a more accurate term than popular.

I tried some Chinese names, as I thought. Chan is less common (699) than Chen (472).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
10,578. Which makes sense, I guess - I don't often see other Seavers in the phone book, but I'm not shocked to.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Here are the top twenty:

1. Smith
2. Johnson
3. Williams
4. Jones
5. Brown
6. Davis
7. Miller
8. Wilson
9. Anderson
10. Jackson
11. Thomas
12. Taylor
13. Moore
14. Rodriguez
15. White
16. Martin
17. Thompson
18. Harris
19. Martinez
20. Garcia

I am #5982

Jon

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Not on the list, which coincides with the fact that my particular family tree stops at the water's edge (although the name appeared a hundred or so years before my particular line and then died out).

The person who did the family tree seemed to think it was an immigration mistake that took the Scottish Getty, spoken in a heavy burr as "Gay-tee" and wound up with Gatie for a spelling. Anyway, everyone with my last name in the US has traced back to my dad and his 4 brothers, including a young lady in Texas who stayed married to my uncle for about a week, but liked the name and kept it after the marriage ended (that was a tough one to figure out
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
).

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

I think mine got pretty popular in about 1989 with a certain tv show, and is still pretty well known because of a couple of pop singing girls with the same name. ;)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, I tried "H" and it didn't show up in the registry :laugh:

Then I tried my real one and it came up #8497

However, there are multiple English spellings of my Chinese name, depending on dialect...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks