What's new

How Nightmare on Elm Street Collection DVD... (1 Viewer)

Esten

Supporting Actor
Hey what's the difference between:

Nightware on Elm Street 3 - DVD (NTSC) - 96:25 minutes
Nightware on Elm Street 3 - DIVX - 96:31 minutes - Called UNCUT (German) - 23.976 fps

I see NOES 1-7 UNCUT versions on e2DK, I just have one (DIVX), NOES 3 "UNCUT".

I don't know what's the difference, the DIVX and DVD apparently are identical. I'm not sure.

That's either a.)The defunct Circuit City format, or b.)Divx as in the codec, which would make it a boot.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Man, my box is damaged and I really don't feel like shelling out the dough for another one. I doubt New Line would replace the box. :frowning:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Also, I am confused by the shortened Tina death scene in Part One...on the commentary track, Wes Craven says it was only included in the UK theatrical edition...so was it cut for the US theatrical release or for the dvd only?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Definitely, one of the premium box-sets in my collection. Even the first installment looks fantastic. A very nice set. A bit pricey but you're getting a lot of film(and extras) for the price.

No problems on Dream Child (Part 5) for me on either the Sony Cinema Progressive or the Samsung.

Esten

Supporting Actor
Also, I am confused by the shortened Tina death scene in Part One...on the commentary track, Wes Craven says it was only included in the UK theatrical edition...so was it cut for the US theatrical release or for the dvd only?
I'm guessing the UK got a print of the film that was Craven's final cut, BUT before it was submitted to the MPAA. Otherwise they would've got an identical cut.

If it hasn't been said already, that brief(and I do mean brief) snippet is included on the 2-Tape CE and CE Laserdisc boxset from Elite.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I NEED to see the workprint. Most of those scenes sound excellent and Freddy's Dead has always been one of my favorite films, period.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Wow this was so long ago :frowning: Well I bought this and it's a nice set, In the year or two I've own this I've never actually popped in the bonus feature dvd or listen to any of the commentaries.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I actually bought this when it was released. Had to get it from the US as it was not available in Canada yet. I lent it to a friend about 3-4 years ago... you guessed it, last time I ever did that.

So I have been wanting to re-purchase. With my luck when I will finally get around to it they will announce a re-release!

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't mind, cause the set wasn't a cheaply done set. For 1999 it was amazingly well done, and could honestly benefit from a re-release.

The transfers are wonderful, but a slight improvement wouldn't hurt. There's a lot of extra stuff that wasn't included on the original releases that could be put onto a new set. The large amount of deleted footage from the movies, as well as commentary by cast/crew for the films.

I'd definitely buy a double dip, considering this is one of my favorite horror series.

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
For 1999 it was amazingly well done, and could honestly benefit from a re-release.

Definitely on both counts. In fact, I was so impressed with this set at the time, it's what got me to buy a DVD player in the first place. Yep, my very first DVDs ever were Elm Streets...

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
I like having the fullscreen option of the stand-alone editions of the Nightmare films too; I have both "Wes Editions," the original and New Nightmare. And, heck, while it's not the purist thing to do, it's a blast to watch these "open matte" on 4x3 sets. Not director's framing, no, but somehow more immersive...and you can do away with the subtle artifacting caused by your player's downconverting anamorphic for 4x3.

Judging by how these two look, these are strict matte jobs, with no additional image revealed on the sides in 16x9 versions...just substantial cropping of the vertical.

Again, not for purists...but sometimes it's nice to see some of the "forbidden" part of the frame you don't in the 1.85:1 transfers, some extra nudity, a hint of stocking that's almost shocking, etc. It's nice to have the fullscreen option, very nice.

I'd also like to see fullscreen options offered for anything coming from 2.35:1 films shot with the Super 35 process. Same deal there, but for the side cropping being much more of a factor. Many have been stunned, though, by how much of the vertical frame is opened up on fullscreen originating from Super 35, 2.35:1 transfers.

Having both formats would ensure you're seeing everything lensed, whether part of the director's framing or not. And with more and more directors sort of unofficially framing for both wide theatrical and home, 4x3 viewing...both formats are viable from a certain point of view.

Luke, you're going to find many of the open matte transfers you cling to are valid, from a certain point of view...

--Jack

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
open matte = pointless

unless you're stuck with a small 4x3 TV and loathe OAR.

but we are on the home THEATER forum not the "forum for guys who bought 27" tvs at walmart"

that THX laser has alot of extras that somehow didn't make the DVD box.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I've thought many times about getting rid of this set but I just can't. I bought it on a whim in 2000 and there's only three movies I like out of seven (1,3, New Nightmare) it's all pretty dated but there's something so cool about it. The extra disc is fantastic too. Absolutely worth your time.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I know what you mean Jon
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member