What's new

How much of a difference will I notice with this upgrade? (1 Viewer)

I have been running what most would call a low level Sony STR-DH800 for the last 3 years now. Come Christmas I will be upgrading to the Pioneer Elite SC-61.
I run Boston Acoustics Horizon series for my front stage and Jamo towers for my rears so all my speakers can handle the power.
What do you think my reaction will be to the difference in sound?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
If you utilize the MCACC feature on your new Pioneer, you should enjoy a significant improvement in the overall presentation as it will correct many room acoustic related oddities that your Sony cannot, particularly integrating your subwoofer and mains. While I am a fan of Audyssey over MCACC in general, I think the overall improvement will be a more cohesive presentation, clearer dialogue and much smoother bass/mid-bass interaction.

Yeah I've been doing alot of research in to the MCAAC and not many are impressed by it. I've also read some are not happy with the video processing in that model.
What else would you guys recommend in the $1000 and below range? Thanks for any help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Depends on what you need in the AVR and what you are going to hook up to it...
NAS?
Ipod/Ipad?
Computer?
VHS?
Camcorder?
Turntable?
CD player?
Want/need...
Multi-zone?
Ipad/droid control?
Height/width?
Macro remote?
Have...
More than 1 display?

Honestly I dont need all the bells and whistles. All I am running is a PS3 for Bluray and a cable box. Straight movie buff here.
I only run 5.1 but would like 7.1 just to expand my future options.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
If your primary goal is SQ and you don't need 3D, then I lean towards the Onkyo TX-NR3007. If you want 3D capability, then a great offering right now is the TX-NR1009 , which gives up some amp capacity for 3D features.

Yeah all I want is the best audio and video processing I can get for under a $1000. That Onkyo looks nice, I hope I can find one for that price when I'm looking to buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks