What's new

How much of a difference in sound quality is there amongt CD players? (1 Viewer)

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Since I said so elsewhere, I suppose I should comment in the appropriate thread. :)
I absolutely, unequivocally can discern audible differences when comparing some CD players or DACs. IMHO the differences in a CD source are often more overt than in amps. I started to be able to hear the different characteristics in the early 90s when comparing competing budget offerings from NAD, Marantz, Rotel, Sony ES and California Audio, all in the ~$400 price range, inserted into a base reference system. I do not think that price was a factor nor brand names, as I went from a ~$700 player to a ~$300 player because it reproduced music better. Using my program material, sometimes I can't discern differences, and sometimes I can.
While I agree that generally speaking ~$1000 players sound better than ~$100 players, I do not believe that anyone need spend that much to get a great sounding player. If someone offers a high quality component for a few hundred dollars, and it sounds wonderful, a ~$1000 player may not be as good. I just posted this in another thread, does anyone have one of these:
I'm likely about to move from NAD to the Cambridge Audio D500se. Staying under $400 remains the game.
Stereophile Class 'C' "Recommended Component"
British Hi-Fi Choice "Best Buy"
24-bit Delta-Sigma dual-differential DAC from Crystal
boards are modular for easy upgrades
control chip designed by Sony exclusively for Cambridge Audio
dual mono topology
regulated power supplies for digital and analog circuits
copper shielding
BNC digital output and optical TosLink
and IMHO is beautiful with the silver faceplate option

KrisM

Second Unit
Does anybody here have any experience with the SCDXE670? I've been thinking about picking up a new CD player and have just started looking at players. I was quoted $500CDN today for the 670 and $600CDN for the 775 although Future Shop has it for $485. The ES players are out of my budget and I have no desire to buy a changer. How does the 670 stackup compared to the 775? I am currently using an older Sony CDP-770 as a transport with a Marantz SR7000. I am pleased with the sound but considering the age I am sure I can do better. Some of the recent SACD title announcements are getting me excited about that format.

Regards

KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks