1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

How much longer do fans have to wait before we see "Dobie Gillis"?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ChrisCook, Jan 26, 2007.

1. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Well-Known Member

This really needs an official studio release. I wish Fox wasn't so oblivious to this classic sitcom. Is there any way to persuade the studio to release this because quite frankly I don't see this being released?

2. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Well-Known Member

Joe
    We need to be persuading companies like Fox to license their shows out to companies like S'More and Shout (or even Alpha) who would be willing to put old series out on DVD. Someone should advise these companies that getting at least something for old series is better than getting nothing.

3. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Well-Known Member

Probably until they've exhausted themselves with the numerous re-releases of Buffy and the other modern moron shows that appeal to younger buyers.

4. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

Beating that 'Buffy sucks' horse never gets old, huh?

5. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Well-Known Member

Yet another vintage Fox show waiting in the vaults as fans stew and simmer to a boil, along with:

Batman
    Peyton Place
    The Green Hornet
    Room 222
    Burke's Law
    Honey West
    - this is already out in R2!
    Judd: For The Defense
    Bracken's World
    -

and yet Fox has done very little in raiding its vaults for vintage shows compared to Paramount, Sony and Warner Bros.! Perhaps if they started licensing the DVD rights to some of their older shows to indie firms like MPI, Image and Anchor Bay, which just got Ironside from Universal!

Michael, you took the words right from my mouth. (But then, it's a comment about Fox I've used myself on this forum during the past few years!)

6. Art_AD

Art_AD Well-Known Member

I would like to add The Paper Chase and The Ghost and Mrs Muir to the Fox please release or licence out classic TV shows list debate

7. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Well-Known Member

Maybe, but you know I never get tired of it. That and the 'Fox sucks' horse are just evergreens IMO. Both are such easy targets though.

8. ChrisCook

Shout! Factory is going to release "Ironside" according to Sitcoms Online. Speaking of Shout! Factory, on their community forum, I'm leaving a post under "Classic TV I’d love to see on Shout! Factory DVD" about "Dobie Gillis". I thought I would take a chance and leave a message, and see if Shout! can get licensing rights from Fox to release this to DVD. If anyone wants to add to it, the link to the thread is below.

http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/62/thread.aspx

9. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Well-Known Member

He didn't say that, but since you brought it up...[​IMG]

10. ChrisCook

Has any progress been made to resolve the rights issue with the Max Shulman estate?

11. Garysb

Garysb Well-Known Member

As Chris says Dobie Gillis can't be released because of rights problems. Like 60's Batman, this can't be released on DVD until rights are resolved.