What's new

How many think Krell and other manufacturers seen their future name on a DVD? (1 Viewer)

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
I now know where these new manufacturers or distributors are getting their names from, it's clearly heard or seen on the very clear DVD they watched. VCR didn't do it but IMHO DVD did! How many DVD(s)and names can you come up with since 1997 7 years ago, 3 years back into the 20th Century, or 4 years before the start of the new Millennium of 2001? :)

BTW Morpheus of "The Matrix" had visions also looking at a steady streaming of ancient information in green on a black body back ground, man what a 'rush' for the first time newbie getting lost in the matrix. Come to think of it Morbius in DVD "Forbidden Planet" had the word Krell now we have Krell Industries. hmmm

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Forbidden Planet was a movie long before it was a "DVD", Krell Industries has been around a long time, since 1980, so the naming of their company had nothing to do with watching it on a DVD. They used to deny it was from the movie, but they finally gave in a few years later. :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I don't think so. I do seem to remember they used to claim that their name was some sort of derivation on an Indian word meaning "great power" or something like that. Finally, some interviewer asked them flat out, "So you took the name from Forbidden Planet, right?" and the interviewee just laughed and admitted it. :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I have no idea if that's the word they were suggesting, Rex. I suspect they were simply making something up regarding the origin of the name and assuming people would never check on it. :D

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't sanscrit a type of writing used by the country India or was it from "Stargate", and Kratu sounds a typo for Michael Rennies character Klatu from "The Day the Earth Stood Still"?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I think that Kratu being a typo for Michael Rennie's character Klaatu from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is a bit of a stretch. ;) ;)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
You can't copyright a name. You can only register it as a trademark and then sue under "passing off" terms. It's only since Star Wars that character names have actively been registered as trademarks, giving rise to the annoying Luke Slywanker(TM) phenomenon.

Oh, and the Matrix trilogy is packed full of classical references as well as all that anime stuff. You've got to be pretty well read to get most of it, which is why most of the critics didn't follow the philosophical side of the dialogue.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
In recent Krell product literature, Dan D'Agostino, founder and owner, states clearly that they take their name from "Forbidden Planet"

All about how the Krell were a superior race with amazing technology.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff_r I apologize for making a wild guess on Kratu being a typo for Klaatu. I tried to inject a little humor but your right and I am wrong.:)

__________________________________________________ ______
O/T Moderator My thread was closed before I could find that 4:3 Letterbox reference, for I searched & searched. Finally I got the title at 2:02 AM. The place you can read the 4:3 LBX AKA 1.85:1 on http://www.cdcovers.cc/Click max make it a full page look for a black square(covers) on left side, then click on it, then 'DVD', then on T then on "The Cassandra Crossing" go down to it then click on [front]and right under it click 'download', it will not download on to your hard drive! when download is complete, if you look at the right side of the 'back' cover; it will say that phrase. Thank you in advance moderator:):)

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff_HR I felt I had hurt you and we seem to be on the same threads, and I didn't want to ruffle your feathers.

__________________________________________________ ________
Jeff_HR On the edit it was the only way I could prove that a 4:3 Letterbox 1.85:1 title existed! I didn't want to be in the tar pit with the mod stating we have no more to be said, but I spent about 10 hours looking for it. I had to retrace my steps and get it right for others if 'interested' to see it also. Thanks again, Jeff I feel much better.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks