What's new

How many powered subs do you have RUNNING in your HT? (1 Viewer)

Arup

Stunt Coordinator
Two Yamaha YST-SW800 in front and one Yamaha YST-SW320 in the rear for rear surround.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Arup

How do you like the Yammi subs?
Well thats a stupid question as you have 3 so they must do the job.:b

A few people have the bigger model like you and like them, but also have heard others that did not care for them. Spec's look good but it's really all about how it performs in your room. They claim 18hz, but have also heard they begin to strugle below 30hz.

Is this true assuming I have the right model?
It's their best sub using a 10" driver I belive.

I do like their styling, down fire, small, and with front mounted controls....
Unfortuantly I have never heard one though!
So sorry if I might have got the wrong model Yammi sub.:b I do have a Yammi receiver in the bedroom HT....!;)

Regards
Geoff

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I've got matching mains and rears, each with 2 powered 10" drivers, plus a Velodyne HGS-18 in the front corner. So that puts me at 9: eight x 10" plus one x 18". My old next door neighbor complained a few times. I do wonder why he moved, though...:D

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
That's because a 6.5" woofer is not even remotely close to being a subwoofer. The 10" is marginal at best.
I have the Def Tech BP2006TL's and CLR2300, each with an 8 inch sub and it blows away the stand alone sub I used to have, granted it was an Energy S8.2 (which had a lot more bass than I expected). IMO the built-in powered subs sound much more natural than when I had the stand alone sub. Someday I hope to get another pair of BP2006TL's for the surrounds.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I have 5 subs. But there are 8 drivers. Polk rt2000p mains. each with (2) 8 inchers. 2 Paradigm PW2200 main subs, And an older DCM sub 2 (2) 12 inch woofers For the surround sub. Sounds basstacular to me.:D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

Multiple powered 8's will always outgun a single powered 8" "sub". As a matter of fact, most 8" powered subs are no more than your typical 8" driver in a separate enclosure. Some may have twice the throw of the typical 8" driver used in most tower speakers, but they're still not going to have the type of output capabilites as say an SVS or Adire Audio sub.

My in-wall surrounds have 8" drivers, but I'd hardly call them subs.

Also, I wanted to state that I'm not trying to insult anyone or their speakers of choice, but powering a 6.5" or 8" driver within a speaker is hardly what I'd consider a subwoofer. A powered woofer, yes, but a subwoofer, no.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Brian,

I had thought about getting an SVS sub but since I live in a smallish condo the output that I get from the Def Techs shake the place enough. I guess if I had a bigger place that would be different though.

Arup

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Geoff,

I upgraded to Yamaha subs after going through dbx and M&K and can tell you this sub is very musical, i.e. it isn't boomy although with the movie setting in the back you can make the earth shake. Like all subs it needs a proper room location and setting but compared to my M&K the Yamaha is way more forgiving.

My friend picked up the latest YST-SW 1500(12" woofer 1500W) beast which makes the whole neighbourhood shake. The Yamaha Active Servo tech really works with the class D amps in these subs. The YST-800 goes all the way down to 20Hz and the 1500 does it better by goind down to 16Hz. This I confirmed with a test CD and spectrum analyzer.

RonnieShred

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronnie
I have a yamaha rx-v3000 preamping a Yamaha M-70 that I run 2 cerwin vega ls 12'' passive 3 way loud speakers on then I run 8 Yamaha surround speakers for my 8.1 surround , with all of that I added 2 paradighm sub woofers. When I run on streight stereo mode I also have an adc eq wired in a loop then I split the rca to run the Yamaha M-70, I also used a splitter on my main sub out, My question is, do you guys think it is ok to run my setup like this or are there any other methods for running multiple amps and subs w/ out splitting????? I was just curious rather or not I may be hurting anything or not. Later I would like to run some cerwin vega 15's on another amp if Im not spreading myself out to thin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks