What's new

How many of you have actually used Digital Copy? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I wonder how successful the Digital Copy feature

is for the studios?

Personally, I have never used it nor do I foresee
circumstances where I would want to.

Since I only buy Blu-ray titles these days, perhaps

there will be the desire to watch one of them on my

laptop during air travel. However, to date, I just

haven't had the urge to even investigate what is
involved in transferring and initiating a digital copy

on a personal device. That should show how much

interest I have in it. I'm also leery of the format because

if you don't take advantage of it quickly the ability to

view it expires. I would be more excited about the

format if I had the ability to view it forever (even

if I was limited to a certain # of viewings) rather than

just short-term.

Tack on the fact that most digital copy Blu-rays come

with a DVD so I can always pop that into a laptop (though

doing so does drain more battery power).

....not that I am condemning the format. In fact, it's

not my intent to turn this into an anti-digital copy thread.

I just have no personal use for it but I imagine perhaps

others do and I can learn from that. The studios seem

to be making a big deal about the inclusion of it in their

releases and I am wondering how many HTF members

actually use it and under what circumstances?

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I've used digital copies to watch some movies on my iPad while traveling. Inglourious Basterds looked great in that format.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I love the digital copy. It's a great way to have a nice catalog of movies on my iPad (or laptop/netbook) for viewing while traveling. Much easier than dragging along a bunch of DVDs to play on a laptop. I never know what movie I'll be in the mood for.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the idea is interesting. however I feel that its more with the younger people that are probably interested. I collect a bunch of blu rays and have some on my phone. I never watched any of the movies, but did watch a short. I have mostly gave them away to family members of movies that I have. I prefer to watch it on the big screen tv.

Jacob

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I import every one to iTunes for potential use on family iPods/iPad when traveling.

I rarely use them myself, (Family Guy "Star Wars" excepted!), but my wife and daughter do.

Brian

Real Name
Ransom Stoddard
Nope. I assume these make Blu-rays more expensive? I would be happy to lose these and get a cheaper Blu-ray.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I've tried them a few times but I really don't have much use for them.

Something that I find ironic about them is that most of the DVD cases these days are the "green" cases yet they include the digital copy DVD that you can only use one time.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Never have and doubt I ever will.

Keep in mind that I have no laptop, iPad, iPod or even a cell-phone. I'm not into portability.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
[SIZE= 12px]I don’t use digital copies for the same reasons that I watch only crappy movies on long flights where a choice of movies is offered.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]When a good movie is offered on a flight I won’t watch it. After watching a good movie I may not want to see it again for years. I don’t want to reset the clock by watching a good movie with a relatively crappy presentation such as the low quality monitors on airplanes or even the better quality presentations on the various devices for playing digital copies. I’ll save the good movies for viewing on our front projection system with surround sound.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px] [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]Since I try not to buy crappy movies on Blu-ray I may never own a digital copy that I’d watch on a laptop. However, if I came across a digital copy of some movie like Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, maybe I’d watch it. [/SIZE]

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I toss them, even before the movie goes on the shelf.

I am OK with a DVD coming with my BD, however!

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I like the idea of it, but like Ronald above, I dislike the expiration of such. I don't mind getting a combo pack that has the DVD version and digital copy on the same disc (despite not having used one yet), but am disappointed when I get a BR that has a digital copy on a DVD and uses not much more space than a CD's worth on it. I don't really see the point then. Give me the barebones DVD copy of the movie (like "Cop-Out" did), and I'll get much more use out of that (as noted in the non-BR adoption thread elsewhere...)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have downloaded many, but not used them to be honest. Right now they are mostly taking up hard drive space, but I don't like the idea of them expiring on me before I've had a chance to choose for myself whether to keep them.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have used the digital copy on both my iPod and my laptop when either myself or my wife (of both) have traveled by plane, or know we are going to be detained somewhere for a long period of time (laundromat or doctor's office, for example). What I do like is that some studios are not so stingy, allowing you to put the iTunes version on one PC and the Windows Media version on another (thank you, Universal!). As for the expiration date, in most cases that is the deadline to load it to a PC or Mac, but you can then transfer it anytime to a portable device. In many instances, if you write to the studio's customer service dept about an expired transfer code, they will usually tell you that the codes have already been extended. That was my experience when I recently purchased Nightmare Before Christmas, which came with an expired Digital Copy. Disney Customer Service explained that the codes had already been extended another 12 months, but if I had any problems to contact them again. Luckily, I did not need to.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Never have and undoubtedly never will. If I can avoid purchasing a product with a digital copy (or even DVD copy of main feature) I will, if I can't find a DC-free release nationally I may even import one if available (X-Men Quad set from UK for instance). Not given the option it is directly off-putting and usually stops me from purchasing a product.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I use them all the time and think it's a great added feature. I transfer all of them to my itunes and then to my laptop, ipod touch and soon my ipad.

And please, those of you that don't use them, feel free to give me the codes.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I've used digital copies for FOTR, Bakshi's LOTR, and Wolverine. In all three cases I was disappointed by the lack of quality of even the desktop version. And of course, once wiped my hard drive, it was impossible to acquire the movies again, as my codes had expired. I just give DC discs away now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks