1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

How many lines am I really watching??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by EduardoBonifaz, Aug 16, 2012.

1. EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz Well-Known Member

Hi there, I have a simple question...I got a 16:9 LCD TV, when I watch a movie on blu ray the display tells me Im watching 1080p, with a movie displaying a 2.35 : 1 aspect ratio I see obviously) the black bars above and below the picture, this bars use screen space, so how many lines am I getting on my display really?

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    1080p

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    The signal is 1080p ... whether it is all white or all black. Still 1080p.
    But on a 235:1 film ... the movie part takes up about 810 lines of the 1080 and the black bars take up the rest. The visible detail in the film is about 1.55 million pixels per frame.
    Regards

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Just remember that your alternative is to cut the sides off, AKA Pan and Scan. Trust us, black bars are the way to go =)
    Also: Resolution is just a number. Does it look good? Just go with it.

5. Stan

Stan Premium
    Supporter

I'm still shocked at the number of people who don't realize the sides get cut off. Friends, neighbors, relatives, etc. they all just want to fill that screen. Black bars are evil. I've even held little training seminars to demo what actually happens, still no affect. Their screen choices just drive me insane. I'll go to my mom's place and she'll have something on and never even question "why are those people so short and fat, or on another channel why are they so tall and skinny"? After a while it's like talking to a brick wall, you just give up.

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'm still shocked so many people confuse affect and effect =p

7. Stan

Stan Premium
    Supporter

Sorry Sam, got it wrong. Surprisingly I actually thought about which word to use, just one of those brain cramps and I chose the wrong one. I try not to make mistakes like that, but you caught me. They're, their, and there along with many others I never have a problem with. Affect and Effect somehow seem to get stuck in limbo land and I sometimes choose incorrectly.
    I made a sarcastic comment to you recently, let's just call it even and stay on topic.

8. Stan

Stan Premium
    Supporter

May actually do this correctly in the future. Found the following info:
    In general, affect is a verb and effect is a noun. When X "affects" Y, it is said that X produces an "effect" on Y. In passive form, Y is "affected" by X.
    Thanks for the somewhat snarky comment. Won't have to worry about being busted by the Grammar Police for a while.

9. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Don't worry. The worst case of grammar I ever found was a guy trying to buy Excel spark plug wires. The guy behind the counter gave him Accel.
    The guy thought cars excelerated...