What's new

How long before we get even better high definition transfers and double dipping? (1 Viewer)

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
Unless the picture quality is enough to make me want to sell someone else's grandma (come on I can't sell my own, I love my grammy hehe), then I would only double dip if they include a 7.1 audio track as opposed to a 5.1 track.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
There are some fantastic MPeg2 releases out there. You just have to do your research. For example: Layer Cake is fantastic.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I really hope they give older films DolbyTrueHD in stereo or even mono.

Sure, Conan The Barbarian isn't gonna sell alot of subwoofers, but I can still hope for the best.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
How long??? How about worrying about expanding HDM to at least 2000 titles before 12/25/2010 before anyone worries about re-releasing titles.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Your statement below ties in somewhat with my observations on a couple of new Blu-Ray titles I just picked up and supports my concern over some of the current discs available.

Both Terminator 2 and Mission: Impossible just don't look very good for 1080p!

I think I know why but I wanted to check with readers here. The first possible explanation is the source material. I realize T2 was filmed in Super35 and is known for its graininess. I would be fine with this explanation it weren't for the fact that Fifth Element: Remastered looks so darn good (also filmed in Super35).

Further research led to the discovery that most of the MPEG2 discs are also on single layer media. The dual layers tend to employ either VC-1 or AVC/MPEG4 compression. T2 is on a single layer so the decreased storage would appear to be a factor in the quality of the output (hey, just like the early days of DVD).

Not surprisingly, all the fantastic looking Blu-Ray discs in my small collection are on dual layer media using superior compression. Mission: Impossible is the only exception so far. It uses MPEG2 on a dual layer but it just doesn't look as good as say Die Hard 3, 2001, Blade Runner, etc.

But, contrary to your statement, I *do* think The Fifth Element (remastered) looks like it's using all 1080 lines of resolution. It is T2 and Mission: Impossible that seem drab by comparison.

Knowing all of this, I will focus my attention on dual layer discs in future. It's good to see that the migration from single layer media to dual layer media is happening faster with Blu-Ray than it did with DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks