What's new

How important is timbre matching? (1 Viewer)

More likely than not, I will be piecing my HT together over the next few months. I was wanting to know how important timbre matching is or how big of a difference it makes if different channels are from different manufacturers. Thanks everyone.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was wanting to know how important timbre matching is or how big of a difference it makes if different channels are from different manufacturers.
Two different questions. Timber matchiing is very important. Otherwise you will notice distracting changes in the tonal quality as sounds transition from one speaker to another. It's particularly important across the front speakers (left, center, right), because that's where most of the activity is, even with an aggressive surround mix.

That being said, it doesn't necessarily follow that you can't mix speakers from different manufacturers. It's just more work on your part. If you buy a single manufacturer's coordinated set of speakers, and the manufacturer has done it's job, the speakers will already be timber-matched. If you mix and match among different brands, then you have to do the coordination yourself by your own ear.

A few years ago, I was faced with having to replace my center speaker. My mains and rears are Monitor Audios from a line that MA no longer makes. I wasn't comfortable that any of MA's current models would properly match my setup, and I've never been thrilled with MA's center channels anyway. On my dealer's recommendation, I tried a Boston Accoustics model (the dealer and I have a long history, so could bring it back for a full refund if it wasn't suitable), and I was very pleased at the way it integrated into my system. If it hadn't I would have tried something else.

So the short answer is yes, it's important, but yes, you can mix manufacturers, if you're willing to put in the extra effort and have an accommodating dealer.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks