What's new

How important is audio signal delay? (1 Viewer)

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Are audio/video syncronization problems prevalent enough to influence a decision on purchasing a receiver? In other words, is it a "must have" feature?

I had just about decided to buy a Denon AVR-2805, which boasts audio signal delay, when I happened to see HK AVR 330's on sale at CC for $499.00. Of course, the 330 does not have audio signal delay, but that's a very attractive price from an authorized dealer.

I realize too that there are other differences between the Denon and the HK (the Denon is more feature-laden), but they both seem to be well-built receivers which contain all of the power and connectivity I need. I guess the oversimplified question is, "Is audio signal delay worth $400?"

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JamesDB

Stunt Coordinator
I'll throw in my 2c because I don't know if you are using progressive scan for your video. If I understand your question correctly you are speaking about the delay for lip sync when watching a movie. As I understand it, certain progressive scan players sometimes have problems decoding the video fast enough in relation to the audio causing the dreaded mismatch.

If this is your only concern between the two receivers and you are using an interlaced mode I'm not certain it would warrent $400.

James

JimMIT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Thanks, James, for taking the time to reply. I'm not currently using progressive scan. I'm in the process of putting together a modest HT. Have purchased all speakers except sub. Will replace my old 27" CRT with an HD monitor, e.g., Samsung DLP, my old Sony non-digital 5.1 with a new A/V receiver and my old Sony non-progressive scan DVD player with a new one. Before shelling out all this money, I'm trying to anticipate any potential problems such as this audio sync thing.

My understanding is that when an HD TV upscales the resolution, say from 480p to 720p, it can result in the video being slightly behind the audio. My sense of things at this point is that its a hit & miss kind of thing -- it sometimes happens, depending on the source, depending on the TV, depending on the whatever. If its a phenomena that only happens very occasionally, I can live with it.

JamesDB

Stunt Coordinator
Well you do raise an interesting point that I didn't think of. I was only looking at the DVD player. I think you will have to do a bit more research as far as the TV is concerned if there is an internal upscaling time mismatch too although I would think that this would already be factored in by each manufacturer. I'm not sure if I would want a significant lag in that area.

Can the DVD player do that kind of audio delay for the money you are paying? What about the TV you are buying?

Maybe someone with more knowledge and experience could chime in?

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks