What's new

How I Met Your Mother - Season 6 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
(Didn't find a thread on HIMYM S6. If there is one, please redirect.)

My interest in HIMYM was waning the previous season; it felt to me that it was drifting away from the core story and trying to compensate by adding ever more ludicrous personal tics and backstory silliness.

This season's start felt like it was back to form. Good humor from Barney, with his riddles on sundresses. A look ahead to Ted's eventual true love. And some great sequences with Marshall and Lily about their efforts and anxieties to start a family. Oh. And a truly horrible visage of Robin eating cheetos pulled from her hair.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, based on the blurb in EW, the writers recognized they got a little sitcommy last season. A promising first episode for the season.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the premiere was okay. it still used the tired out of creating idiosyncrasies that, according to the show, are long standing but were really just made up for this one episode (Marshall and his Dad). i can't remember the last time a Marshall/Lily subplot actually worked for me. but at least they're focusing in the right direction.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
At least his time, we already knew Marshall had a goofy family and an unusual relationship with them. I forget how much we'd see about his father, but this didn't fully invented out of whole cloth like so many last season.

And the thing with Ted tearing the labels off of bottles when nervous is such a minor detail that I didn't mind it that it was invented as a throwaway quirk for this episode.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've come to the conclusion that Alyson H. has as much trouble with one-line catchphrases as she does carrying a tune. Her "son of beech" always bugged me and Monday's "where's the poop" wasn't any better. Maybe part of it is because she needs to play tough during those moments and she never quite pulls it off.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's the best episode I've seen in a while. A lot of fun. True to the characters and heart of the show.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Agreed - although not tied into the "mother" storyline, I really do enjoy these sorts of diversions. Clever, funny, and entertaning.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Filthiest running joke I can remember. HOLY cow, the longer the stretched it, the more I was just shocked.. and in stitches. The moment with them wrestling over a joystick? Debating how much Beavers eat? Holy s--- I was DYING.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This one was...OK... I have mixed feelings towards bawdy humor. It's funny, but it's cheap. And watching some HIMYM reruns in syndication, their humor used to be more novel, and a bit more sophisticated. I guess after six seasons, the inspiration runs a bit dry.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Yeah, it was just ok. I did like that everybody in the Hoser Hut knew the beaver song. The organ at the Rangers game scene was funny. But they just dropped Barney w/ the boutonniere bit. I think that needed some sort of payoff.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This was the funniest episode to me all season. It was almost everything I like about HIMYM. It had crazy backflashes, that didn't require rewriting the characters themselves. It had ridiculous rules, like the good old days of The Bro Code. Suggested events, like whatever came after the skateboarding dog, that was never shown. And some story that could relate to the "mother", with Ted and Zoes drama. It was everything I like about the show.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I LOL'd everytime someone said, "tur-tur-key-key". Even if it was Ted.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I think Jorge Garcia will probably be doing LOST references for the rest of his career. That's ok though.

"I'm not the Blitz, I'm the Bueller!"

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well that episode answered a question I've had for a while: how does he keep all these stories straight? Good to see them play with the kids in the future and his "I have no idea where I'm going, that isn't right.." and mixing up dates and events. I thought that was a cute gag and well played. The Mermaid Theory... good stuff, I will have to remember that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks