What's new

How hot is too hot ? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyDee

Auditioning
Hi all. Just recently joined the forum after lurking for several weeks. What a wealth of information! I was finally getting into HT and searching this site has answered many questions while setting up my system.

Question: How hot is normal for a reciever? I am sure they all have overheat protection, but the cooler they run, the better, correct? After a good workout my RXV-1200 is too hot too place your hand on top. Should I take steps too keep it cooler or is this ok ? I don't remember my older stereo recievers getting this hot. ( Maybe I just never paid attention, I am constantly playing with my new toy)

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
After a good workout my RXV-1200 is too hot too place your hand on top.
Hmmm....You're not blocking the vents, correct? Make sure nothing is on top of it. (Like a DVD player or any other component.) If its in a rack, you may want to place some cooling fans to keep it from overheating. You need to protect the delicate parts inside.
My Pioneer VSX-49TX sits in a rack. I have a few cooling fans on it to keep it from overheating. Head to my site if you like to see what I did.

David John

Stunt Coordinator
I have the RX-v1200 also and mine only gets very warm after a couple hours of use. I live in an apt. so I can't really crank it up, but it's never gotten very hot.. only very warm.
I have about 5 inches clearance between it and the next higher shelf.
Maybe you need more room above it, and some better airflow to cool it.
If it doesn't go into protection from the heat, I wouldn't worry too much, just do what you can to keep it cool.
It will help extend it's life.
My Adcom amp which powers my subs and rear surrounds gets much hotter, but i can still touch it after a couple hours of use. It does have thermal protection too, but it has never triggered.
I was concerned with the heat, so i drilled a grid of holes in the top of my ent. center to help vent the heat.
So far so good. :)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Definitely give it a lot of room for ventilation if it gets that hot. My old Sherwood 8090 receiver used to get pretty warm after a particularly aggressive soundtrack but my Denon 5800 barely gets warm even when cranked.

Patrick

Lewis_W

Agent
I wouldn't worry about it. Have you ever touched some of the big Parasound amps after playing them at near reference level through a set of M&K's? They get really hot, with plenty of space around them. Also, the Lexicon MC-1 runs pretty hot, but it's no real cause for concern.

Lewis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks