What's new

How hard is it to put in a gas stove? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm moving into a house with some gas amenities--heating, water heater, fireplace, dryer--but it disappointingly has an electric stove. Since the house is already gassed up, how easy would it be to get the gas to the stove area? The house is on a slab. The stove is against an outer wall, if that helps, and the dryer is about twenty feet away across an outdoor courtyard. It's kind of a backwards L, with the stove along the long side and the dryer on the short side, with open ground between them (though, the dryer is not on the outer wall--it's on the other side of the utility room).

There are also some outdoor lights on either side of the house that it would be cool to make gaslight, but that's of less interest. Even the stove is just something that would be neat, and if doable, it will certainly not be done right away.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
[FONT= 'Arial']Maybe you are lucky that they actually have a gas pipe already going to the kitchen area? [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial']If not it's really not that difficult they could run a pipe through the addict area and down through a wall to the stove area. [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial']I would suggest calling a plumber and getting estimates. [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial']Gas stoves and electric ovens really are the way to go in a kitchen. [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'Arial']Good luck and let us know how it goes. [/FONT]

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, yeah, I figure the gas is already running to the attic for the heater (I think), so maybe it'll be easy. The outdoor lights are on a brick wall, so maybe more trouble than that would be worth. Funny, I would have thought "gas guy," as I think of water with the plumber. I haven't had gas fixtures before.

A gas stove with a built-in grill would be sweeeeet.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I replaced my old gas stove with a new one... With the gas already there, it was a piece of cake.... The hardest thing was making sure you have the right fittings based on your gas line to the new stove. Pretty much everybody replaces the gas line when you put in a new stove, (might as well and it's cheap) so it's real simple, assuming you also have a 110v outlet near the stove. I guess if your stove is reaaaallly old, you might not have needed one.

So the hardest thing would be to run the gas line to the kitchen if not already and that in itself is not terribly hard if you take the usual precautions and stuff about working with the gas line.

Of course, if you replace the stove, you might also think about the floor tiling, etc. while you're at it... See, these things can balloon if you let it :)

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks