What's new

How Happy Days went from a good show to bad and became super popular (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
As someone who contributed to this discussion, I hope I didn't offend anyone or cross any lines.
I happen to feel that every era has good shows and bad shows. Some are absolutely horrible, some are mind-blowingly great. And many people hate the great ones, and many people love the 'not so great' ones.
I've never felt that the quality of a show can be defined by the era it was made, or the studio that made it, or the network that broadcast it, or its ratings, or even the other work done by the people involved in it. IMO, the only way to gauge whether a show is good or bad, is how you personally feel about it.
I think if people state their opinions, but admit it is just 'their' opinion, and aren't overt or impolite in their attempts to bring others to their side, then discussions are handled in a better way.
David

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
David Weicker said:
As someone who contributed to this discussion, I hope I didn't offend anyone or cross any lines.
David
It doesn't seem to take much. I guess three posts is the limit or it is considered butting heads to get a point across. I'm done.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
David Weicker said:
I think if people state their opinions, but admit it is just 'their' opinion, and aren't overt or impolite in their attempts to bring others to their side, then discussions are handled in a better way.
Well said, David. I agree with you completely.

If some of this was exacerbated by my comment about the downfall of American popular culture, please re-read my post and see that I stated it was a "tongue-in-cheek" theory, ergo just something that I bandy about for a FUN discussion, not a diatribe or unqualified, unyielding position. It's a thought provoking theory, not a sledge hammered principle.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I would tend to agree with the sentiment that there are good tv shows from every era/decade. While I am a big fan of 50's and 60's TV (because it was the era I grew up in), there were other worthy shows from each decade that I watched. The 70's had Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, MASH, Taxi, and a few others, the 80's had Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, and others. The 90's had The X Files, Seinfeld, ER, Friends, Twin Peaks, The 2000's gave us Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, LOST and others. Currently we have Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Justified, and more. I am just using a few exemplary shows, I know there are more, but I don't recall them off the top of my head, and frankly I watch less TV now than I used to. I know some of these shows may seem morally unseemly or offensive to some of the posters here, but I believe that they are quality shows, that appeal to some and not to others, but are intrinsically good drama and or comedy. In summary, I think that OVERALL, there are not as many good shows (at least to me) these days as in the past, or at least shows that I wish to watch regularly, BUT I would hesitate to call everything shown on TV today as "garbage". EXCEPT of course for "reality TV". We all know that reality TV is leading to the fall of Western Civilization, (TONGUE FIRMLY PLANTED IN CHEEK SO HARD IT CANNOT BE REMOVED WITH EXPLOSIVES)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Richard V said:
I would hesitate to call everything shown on TV today as "garbage". EXCEPT of course for "reality TV". We all know that reality TV is leading to the fall of Western Civilization, (TONGUE FIRMLY PLANTED IN CHEEK SO HARD IT CANNOT BE REMOVED WITH EXPLOSIVES)
I AGREE! :laugh:
I grew up in the 1960s/70s, but believe it ot not, the number of titles I have from the 1950s EXCEEDS the number of titles from the 1960s, they really don't make them like they used to!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s and most of my collection or about 62% of my complete shows are prior to 1980. I have about 10 shows from each of the next decades. There does not seem to be a huge push for 1980s tv shows as compare to 1960s and 1970s tv series. The 1980s had some decent shows, but mostly family sitcoms.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I do have shows from this year and last and on back into the 1950s. Gosh how could I make a mistake like that. Downton Abbey is a series i really enjoy. 1950s Lucy and maybe Perry Mason which ended in the 60s and came back for 1 awful short season in 74. The Donna Reed show I would like plus it always helps when someone you respect states you would like the show. The reviews here have many times influenced my buying TV series. So you see all of you help too. I like that about the forum. Saving money or pointing out problems with a release it is all right here. I also think when we all pull together on a certain show to get it released it works. Look how all of us on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea kept that thread alive until that moment Mr Finn said you will get the show.
I am just here to state that I am very happy to be a part of this forum. I thank Ron and Adam for keeping this a great place to meet and trade comments and have just plain fun reading each others posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks