What's new

how good is the pioneer VSX-1014 going to be compared to the elite..... (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Well actually here in Canada Elite Warraty is 3 years so already that is worth a lot to me. 52 TX I am paying $150 more but I get the Elite name, heavier amp (I assume better power source) 3 year warranty instead of 1 and multi room capabilities. awfully tempting...

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Wow 3 year warranty. I wish Pioneer would do that here in the States as well. Some manufacturers like Denon provide 2 year warranty on all their receivers not just the top of the line units.

I believe the power source on both the Elite 52TX and the 1014TX are the same. The weight of the 52TX is listed as 34.2 lbs vs. 34 lbs for the 1014TX, very minimal difference.

Given the even longer warranty in Canada and the difference of $150, I would probably opt for the 52TX as well.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There's no difference in the amplification or power source/supply. I've verrified this w/ a Pioneer Rep for my local shop. You're really paying for the warranty, composite video/analog out for multiroom, 12V triger, and RS232. The 1014TX still has multi-room output if you want to use the back channels to amplify. The RS232 port on the 52TX doesn't offer computer analysis of MCACC results like the 54TX and 56TXi. It's designated for "future upgrades" which are VERY unlikely to ever happen on a receiver of this price. While I would have liked the extra year warranty and elite look, it really wasn't worth $250 extra to me... i think $50 is the most I would have paid extra just for that since the RS232, 12V triger, and analog 2ch and composite video multi-room outputs were of no use to me.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Question on the 1014TX for Stephen or any other 1014TX owners out there: Assuming my 7.1 speaker set up consisted of dipoles for side surrounds and direct-firing speakers for rear surrounds, would I be able to listen to multichannel music by bypassing the side surrounds and sending info to the rear surrounds? I'm thinking this can't be done on the 1014TX or the 52TX as neither of these receivers has a multi-channel input for surround back channels as opposed to the Elite 54TX which does.

I have a Pioneer DV-578A-S DVD player that plays multichannel music (DVD-A & SACD) and I want to start to get into these when I buy more music.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You're correct. Outside of some elaborate setup speaker switches this can't be done w/ the 52TX or 1014TX since it only has 5.1 multichannel analog inputs. The 54TX, or any other receiver w/ 7.1 multichannel analog inputs can do this by having the output from the DVD/SACD player for surrounds plugged in to the inputs for surround back on the receiver.

Rolando

Screenwriter
hmmm... my local dealer swears the 52TX shoudl sound better as Elite models always do. I tried telling him what I heard about it being the same amp but still claims there is always even a small difference in quality.

anyone ever done a side by side?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
When my 1014TX arrived at my local dealer we pulled it out of the box and compared it to the 52TX they had on the floor. Other than the differences already mentioned they were indeed the same unit. Same weight (listed on the shipping labels), same setup, same functionality. As much as I'm sure your dealer wants you to beleive the 52TX will sound better so you'll buy it from him, there's nothing magical about the Elite name that will make it sound better because they are exactly the same. Made on the same assembly line from the same parts (including power supply) but with different labels and some frivalous feature differences. It would probably actually cost Pioneer MORE to make the 1014TX w/ a weaker power supply because of discounts for bulk buying and economy of scale.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
One thing every Elite dealer that I've spoken too mentions is that the Elite VSX-52TX has a transformer stabilizer listed in its specifications. I don't know for sure if the 1014TX has it or not as it is not listed on the specifications. It may be an error of omission or purposely left off for marketing purposes to boost up the 52TX.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I am not positive, but I believe it has to do with the construction and possibly reducing vibration that may be caused by the transformer.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I really don't think the transformer stabilizer has anything to do with any vibration (we're talking all steady state electronics here). I'm sure it's some type of circuitry that stabilizes the incoming voltage/current like a line conditioner would. Whether or not it's included on the 1014TX also is a shot in the dark (w/out opening both up and comparing) but i would be inclined to think that it's their but just not mentioned int he 1014TX's description/specs. There are many differences in the specs that are eroneous, probably due to different people compiling info for the website and their different interpertations of the specs and what's important enough to merrit mention.

Rolando

Screenwriter
It's getting harder and harder to choose between them. Do I really want to spend an extra $150 Canadian for 2 years extra warranty and the ELite name and look?

I might be sick enough to do it... darn it the 52TX looks so much classier, sleeker... sexy! yeah, that's it. It's sexier! :D

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
In my case its the 1014 vs the 54tx. I can put the extra cash towards a sub one day. Really the 54tx has the advanced mcacc and that it nice.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator

For the $150 Canadian ( ~ $112 USD)difference, I would get the 52TX. THe extra 2 year warranty is atleast worth $40-50 per year and then the cooler looks is worth something...atleast another $20-25, the extra outputs another $20 or so if you can use it. Its something you'll probably be using for a few years so do what would please you most.

For me, if I can get the 52TX for just $125 USD more than the 1014TX, I would do it. Whether I want to spend $300-350 more for the 54TX is another question I am still debating.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
1014 owners - I was looking at the 52tx manual from the Pioneer site and noticed it has some sort of Dialog enhancement button on the remote to boost dialog - does the 1014 have this? Have you tried it?

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
One thing these pioneers lack is the ability to lay PIIx over DTS, that stink. Denon and yamaha has this on certain models.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Given that Star Wars is being released on DVD tomorrow, I had a question about THX implementation on the 1014/52TX. Is THX implemented the same way on these receivers when compared to the other elites like the 54TX. Looking at the manual, I am a little confused as to whether THX can be combined with DTS on the 1014/52TX. In the 54TX manual, it seems THX can be combined with DTS.

Ned

Supporting Actor
On the 1014, THX can be applied to DTS. This also somewhat mitigates the issue of not being able to layer DPLIIx with DTS since one of the features of THX is decorrelation of the surround channels through phase/pitch shifting. It's not quite as good as the pseudo 4 surround channels that DPLIIx derives but it's still pretty good, and certainly way better than 5.1

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
This receiver is out of stock at OneCall again. Its the second time they have sold out on this receiver!
Its still available at Vann's for now!

I really want to see it in person before I pull the trigger, but my local dealers that have had them in stock for about 3 weeks now don't have them on display!:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks