What's new

How far do you commute? (1 Viewer)

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
2.5 miles. I take my bike whenever its not raining.

I even tried my bike over the winter a few times, but the ice and snow on the sidewalk was less than enjoyable, so I guess I'm just a fair-weather rider.

I've been working here for a year-and-a-half now, and its just unbelieveable to me how much more time I have in the afternoon with no commute. I work until 3:30. When I drive, I'm home at 3:35. When I bike, its 3:40.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
100 miles round trip, not counting if I take a lunch run. Live in the boonies and work in the nearest city.

The rub is that I have a job that I could telecommute into, but the TPTB decided that they need to "see people in their seats". (Nevermind that our department is basically split between 2 cities and TPTB generally have company cars they drive!!)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Used to be 26 miles one way. Just changed jobs, now it's only 10. Takes me about 15 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the afternoon.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I've run into the same culture. I could easily work from home 90% of the time, but the workplace is still an "if you're not there, you're not working" mentality.

And, by the way, you telecommuters just had to come in here and rub it in, even when I asked nicely. :D ;)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I don't telecommute. I am self-employed and work from home, while doubling as a stay at home dad. I wasn't trying to rub my 10 foot walk in.

My wife works about 2 miles from our home, but with the major roads she would have to cross and our frequent afternoon thunderstorms, I wouldn't recommend biking to work.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
From Fremont to Emeryville is about 25 miles so about 50 miles round trip. Luckily I can work from home a couple days a week.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The NY Times had an interesting story today about life in the rural exurbs and how it's becoming less tenable these days.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/bu...exurbs.html?hp

I live in the last suburban subdivision in SW Boise - there's nothing but farms and ranches further on. Fortunately I am retired and am still only 12 miles from downtown. And we are on the natural gas pipeline from the fields in western WY so I pay only $100 a month in winter to heat the place.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
3 minutes one way via car
17 minutes one way via bike

I have my choice but I prefer car these days since the dog in my sig has a cancerous tumor on her nose and requires a lot of attention whenever I can give it. I go home for lunch.

I drive a small car with great gas mileage. 35+ It costs me about $60 or so a month for gas.

In the 90s I used to drive an hour and 20 minutes to work at a dead end job out of town. I'm glad I have a dead end job IN town now. Much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks