What's new

How far away from home are you? (1 Viewer)

CharlestonSC

Auditioning
Real Name
Carol
2833 miles. N. California to Charleston, South Carolina.
Still miss California, and always will. But it is nice here too, except in the summer (brutal humidity).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Well, I believe I win.

I live in the house where I was born. During my university years and while in the army, I lived elsewhere, but I bought the house 25 years ago.
In fact, after a recent reconstruction, we will move our "master" sleeping room to the exact room I was born in.
It could become the room where I will die, one day.

(I'm also Chairman of the Board of the same junior school -elementary school- I attended for 6 years, including 1 year in kindergarten, almost 60 years ago. :) )

Approx. 2 km from my old high school, 5 km from my university.

Cees

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
I'm about 4.5 miles from my high school but then I was in the second from last graduating class. It's now all apartments

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
For me it's roughly 680 miles. I graduated from high school in west San Jose in 1971 but lived close by until a year ago. By that time all of my relatives had either died or moved away. Most of my friends were either gone or had plans to leave upon retirement. So it made sense to sell - and at the peak of the housing bubble (I closed escrow at sale in mid May 2006).

The British Empire still exists, it's just that you Brits no longer are running it. But you did do a commendable job setting it up.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I used google maps and it tells me 90 miles, 2 hour and 15 minute drive. That's pretty accurate. I'm about to move back there after over 20 years. I can't wait.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm only a couple of miles away at the most. I loved my quiet little town so much that I decided to raise my family here as well.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
About 100 miles (Portland, ME area to Boston, MA area)... Although I'd probably call this place "home" now.

Bejoy

Stunt Coordinator
As per the site listed by Holadem, my HS is 9058 miles (14516km) away. Pretty much exactly on the other side of Earth(12 hrs time difference).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I graduated in '83, went to college about 1,600 miles away (I graduated in Colorado, so I can only go so far without leaving the country) then lived anywhere from about 800 to 2,000 miles away in the years after college, then moved back and bought the house I grew up in. I guess I've kind of come full circle. My HS is 1 mile away, except it isn't a HS anymore.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Just about 200 miles from where I live to my hometown (about 50 miles to where I went to college).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Except in Africa and the Middle East. Kinda screwed the pooch on those two.

Google Maps assures me that I am currently 169 miles away from my old high school. Exactly two years ago I was 230 miles away in the exact opposite direction. In exactly one week, I will be 2.1 miles away. So it goes.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Me and the better half both grew up and went to high school in NYC. We moved to Berkeley 2 years ago. Nice but kinda dull IMHO.
We are in a weird age here. Late 30's. Most people where we live are either UCBerkeley students or older, retired etc...
Not alot of people are our group.
We might be moving back to NYC this fall.

:)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think you'll find the Indian sub-continent wasn't too happy either. Or ...

Contrary to the image a lot of Americans in particular have about British attitudes, most educated Brits are rather ashamed of our colonial forebears these days. We're sort of proud about having been the strongest nation on the Earth, blah, blah (though we needed to import a Dutch king and business gurus to get us started) but what we did with that power isn't something many of us are exactly boasting about.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
According to Google Maps I am 5,115 miles away. I asked Google for directions and one of them was "Swim across the Atlantic Ocean - 3,462 miles". :D

I'm one of the Brits who moved - along with the estimated 400,000 other Brits now living in Florida.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
About 100 miles. I had my 20th High School Reunion last September, and I was amazed at how many of my fellow classmates are still in the region.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Yes, I told her I didn't like boats or airplanes and this was her suggestion. She said the tour company would throw in waterwings and flippers for a small extra charge. I would, of course, have to bring my own goose fat.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I graduated in 1986 and then was gone for about 11 years. I spent 6 years in the Army at FT Bliss, TX and SHAPE, Belgium. I came back home from Europe and moved back to El Paso, TX. Then almost a year later my marriage ended and I moved to Memphis, TN. There my brother and I shared an apartment for 4 years before I met a woman from my home county, we got married and I moved back to DeSoto County, MS. So now I live about 10 to 12 miles from my old high school. It's still a good school with a big campus, but the grounds are in need of some landscaping and tidying up. The house I grew up in is less than a mile from the school and I still go by there occasionally. That house has seen better days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks