What's new

How does a native SVGA (800x600) create a max UXGA (1600x1200) 1080p image? (1 Viewer)

RoboBloodMonkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus Paulsen
I'm currently looking into purchasing my first projector. I've spent the past couple days researching and learning as much as i can, but I have a couple of questions. My understanding is that native resolution means the actual physical number of pixels. So if a projector spec sheets lists its native resolution as "SVGA (800x600)" and it's max resolution as "UXGA (1600 x 1200), 1080p", how does it achieve this? From what i have read it sounds like the larger max resolution is just a stretched image, and that to create the HD 16:9 aspect ratio it cuts off part of the top and bottom of the image. So how does it create a 1080p image from a 800x600 physical source? Is it not a true 1080p image? The actual projector i'm looking at is an Optoma GT360. It's spec sheet can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT360-Projector-Great-PlayStation/dp/B003B4DFH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299783725&sr=8-1

My second question is when part of the image is cut off the top and bottom to change a 4:3 aspect ratio to a 16:9, is some light still projected to that cut off area?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Marcus. Congratulations on a pending projector purchase. Its a lot of fun to put movies and games on your own big screen.

I looked through the projector specs at both Amazon and on Optomas website and I agree that it is a bit confusing. Here is what it actually means:

Native Resolution 800x600: This is the actual resolution of the projector. It is going to take what ever you input and convert it to this resolution.

Max Resolution: This is the highest resolution it can accept via the inputs. If you feed it a 1080P signal, it is going to downconvert it to 800x600 which is not a true 1080P image (which would be 1920x1080). If you feed it a 480i signal it will upconvert it to 800x600.

Usually displays will take an input that is a different resolution and just scale it to the native resolution, so you will get a less detailed picture, but is should have the same aspect ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks