What's new

How do you watch your TV-DVD sets? (1 Viewer)

Josh_LaF

Agent
Real Name
Josh
This is just a fun topic. How does everyone watch their TV-DVD sets? I watch all the episodes first, then watch special features, then listen to the episodes with commentaries. I was curious because someone I know watches the episodes, then if the episode has commentary, watches it again, so he would watch the same episode two times in a row and I thought that was odd, but to each their own.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I usually watch the episodes and ignore the extras. I don't think I've ever listened to a TV commentary all the way through.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Depends on my mood... sometimes I will go right to the commentary after watching the episode... other times I will wait till I finish all the episodes.

But there is one time I always watch all the episodes first... if I never seen the series before... I will watch all the episodes first fearing spoilers for upcoming episodes is in the commmentary.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I usually watch the episodes first, video based extras second and I very rarely listen to commentaries on season sets.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Depends: sometimes I go straight to the extras, other times I'll watch a favorite episode first. Mostly I try to watch several episodes in a single sitting for a few hours.

I'm such a dork, but here's how I watch season sets. I usually watch about 7-8 eps a night for hour long episodes depending on the lengths (8 eps= 42-45 min eps; 7 eps=46-50 min eps). And I watch 12 eps a night for half-hour episodes. I start at 7 PM CT and usually watch until 12 or 1AM. (I absolutely have no life.) It usually takes me 2-4 days to finish a season depending on the length and number of episodes. If I finish a season set before 1AM, I go back and watch the extras and commentaries. It helps that I don't have to be at work until 9:30AM, so I can sleep a little later than most.

I know lame, but you asked for it! :)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Generally I watch the sets straight through where the episodes are concerned. As far as the special bonus features are concerned I dislike the commentaries but depending on what series it is I'll watch some of the behind the scenes featurettes if I don't ferel like watching the other shows.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I don't think I've watched an episode yet listening to a commentary. It takes me long enough just to get through a season. I did watch most of the special features for LOST though.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
The only special features I've seen from any TV-DVD set are the "Next week on..." clips following each episode from the Babylon 5 sets.

AndyMI

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy
I watch the episodes first in order, then the special features. If there are commentaries I wait until I've seen all the episodes that season then go back and listen to those.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
For me, it really all depends. Sometimes I watch all episodes then extras, then commentaries. With Gunsmoke it was a mixture, no rhyme or reason. With MTM S:1 I watched the doc. first because I could wait to watch it. Then I watched an episode and then watched it again for the commentary.

andyEckles

Agent
I watch a couple of episodes a night a couple nights a week, so I usually take a couple of months to complete a set. I don't usually watch extras unless it's a show that I'm really fanatic about.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
It depends on the show. For every set, I watch in marathon form (by disc or by complete set). Depending on the show, I'll watch the bonus features. The only series I have where I've listened to all the commentaries are Friends and Batman: The Animated Series. Otherwise, I generally skip over the commentaries.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the show for me too. I'll watch all of the episodes in order (for sets with only 13 episodes or so, I'll try to pace them, but with longer seasons, I'll watch them faster).

Then come extras. I'll generally check out deleted scenes and whatnot first. I'll listen to commentaries for certain shows but most I don't bother with. And I never bother with any animatics, any of that stuff. Doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
This depends on the set.

For Babylon 5 were the commentaries were few, I watch the episodes in order up until an episode with a commentary. I then watch that twice in a row, once with out commentary and once with.

For shows like Farscape and Stargate, there are too many commentaries to do that with so I do not watch the commentaries.

I usually watch a good portion of the extras on the DVD's. If I have never seen the show before, I won't watch any extras until I finish the series (for fear of spoilers). If I have seen the series previously I will watch extras as I go.

Andy

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
It depends on the set for me as well, For The Twilight Zone I watched an episode and then all the extra's for that episode. But with the Simpsons I watch all the episodes and then all the commentaries. I guess its how I feel about the show. The more I love it the more I want to watch and listen to the extras.

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.

Yup, me too.

Have never listened to a single solitary commentary in my life. Don't see tha point. Would rather spend that time watching another episode.

Same with extras in general. It's gotten to the point that I rarely even look at the extras menu to see what's in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks