What's new

How do you like 5.1 vs 7.1 vs ...? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm curious how people like a 5.1 system versus 7.1 versus ... the other variants (wide surround, front height, 9.1)?

I'm pre-wiring and and I need to decide if I want to pre-wire standard 5.1 surrounds for a future media room system...or spend an extra $250 to $500 and get a 7.1 pre-wire, or other? I'm inclined against it, since I'm already blowing my budget and I don't know if I'll have money for more speakers any time soon. But if it's super awesome, maybe I plan for it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I've been 7.2 since 2003, and I swear by it, especially since many of today's blu-ray discs have 7.1 sound.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Works ok for me..
Although I don't think it makes too much difference, the sound coming from those extra channels seems relatively nonexistent to me even on movies that ate 7.1.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
DaveF said:
I'm curious how people like a 5.1 system versus 7.1 versus ... the other variants (wide surround, front height, 9.1)?
I'm pre-wiring and and I need to decide if I want to pre-wire standard 5.1 surrounds for a future media room system...or spend an extra $250 to $500 and get a 7.1 pre-wire, or other? I'm inclined against it, since I'm already blowing my budget and I don't know if I'll have money for more speakers any time soon. But if it's super awesome, maybe I plan for it.
I would say yes. go for 7.1
Jacob

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is there a reference site for speaker positioning for the different setups? Dolby should be the place, but they aren't up to date with their own 7.1 and 9.1 configs. And Dolby says unequivocally not to put the sub in a comer ; but in the forum the opposite is said.
Any problem with 7.1 rear surrounds pulling the experience too much beyond, with four rears outweighing only three fronts? That's the big critique I've read and been told by a friend. But I've never been in a 7.1 setup.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I think it primarily depends on your system and the room it is in. Having gone from 5.1 to 7.1 with upgraded components and speakers in a fairly large room, the difference can be quite startling depending on the source. DTS HD 5.1 also benefits from 7.1. Now I would never go back.

BTW, proper calibration will ensure proper sonic representation and does not bring the experience "too far beyond".

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ehhh... I can live without 7.1. I have had it for a couple years and to be honest, unless the sound track is 7.1, I do not even use the rear speakers (I do not matrix). Unless I look at the receiver or know beforehand that a sound track is 7.1, I really never notice it when I watch the movie.

Now having said all that, my surround speakers are a bit different than the norm (Axiom QS8's) so YMMV. I can't say how it would be if I had 'normal' speakers in my room.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My other big question is: where to put the Subwoofer? If it should along the wall, behind the viewing position, I need to pre-wire that

I also posted in my projector thread. I could imagine taking advantage of a stretched out Dolby IIz system with wide surrounds in my long, narrow room. However, I don't have SAF :) When I get to this actual system, I'll need a new 5.1 surround system in the living room, as the main speakers will get moved into the basement, as well as the hardware for this setup (Projector, screen, HTPC, furniture). Another $1000 to get two more surround speakers (a pair of SVS MBS-02) seems increasingly unlikely. And I realize I may need to boost my budget a skosh and pre-wire not just for surrounds, but for 5.1 to reduce visible wiring below the screen.

bcf86a4c_BasementMediaRoughin.png

ronlw

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Walker
Put the wires in if nothing else. It will be hard to do it later if you ever want to expand.
7.1 is better (smoother) then 5.1, at least to my ears.

mjbraz

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty Brazill
If your room is still in studs, I would not only consider 7.1, but a few steps beyond.
A) Wire for subs in multiple locations. The main reason is that no other speaker is as room dependent. That means the bass on one side of the couch could sound much different than the right. You want the ability to place the sub where it sounds the best and the more areas you can plug in, the better. Also 2 subs helps even our the sound in the room and 4 subs are almost ideal for getting consistently clean/deep impact in throughout the room. I personally would run RG6 (that's all sub cable is) to the front left side of the room, the front right side, the rear left and rear right. Of course there is no law that states you need to buy multiple subs now, but you will be happy you have the wire already run.
B) Dolby Atmos is a brand new surround sound format that may very well revolutionize home theater in the next couple years. It is just making its way into commercial theater venues and early reviews lead me to believe this will be the next giant step in digital surround since Dolby AC3 came out nearly 20 years ago. With that being said, If I had my room in studs, I would wire the traditional 7.1 PLUS a pair of "height" speakers on the front wall near the top of the wall, at least one pair of in-ceilings directly above the sofa. and a pair of in-wall surrounds on the side walls in the front half of the room. The idea is that Dolby Atmos will give the sound mixers much more ability to wrap the sound above and around the viewer. A rain storm on screen will almost feel like it is pouring out of the ceiling. Ironman will be able to fly from the front of the room, over you and then land behind you.
Make sure your installer runs a conduit from the equipment rack to the projector before they seal up the walls. Again, technology moves very fast and HDMI 4 might very will be antiquated in 5 years. Always make sure you have the ability to run new cables to the projector area for future upgrades.
I know this sound like overkill, but it gets WAY more expensive and time consuming to retrofit a room once the drywall is up. I personally would let your installer pre-wire the 7.1 if that is what you agreed on, but it is your house, and all you need is maybe 100 ft of CL rated speaker wire and about the same amount of RG6 cable and you can run it yourself on a Saturday after the installers are finished. Yes, it is a bit sneaky, but so is charging big labor money to prewire a room in studs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yamaha is(and has been) on the forefront of this very idea...
They had "dual center" before(so the sound could be centered in the TV)...
They have Rear Presence now.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'm set up for 7.1, and like it a lot. I listen to a movie the way it's recorded. If it's just 5.1, that's how I listen. I like 7.1 movies, which there's more and more of. Of course, some movies are better than others in 7.1 surround. I guess it depends on who did the mixing.
I listen to tv in Dolby Pro Logic IIx (7.1), and prefer that. Some stuff is really good that way.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some good and interesting ideas.
I went with 5.1 pre-wire, with conduit to the likely projector location.
I considered more options, but practicality and budget kept me to what I would use for the next few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks