What's new

How do you Identify the ORIGINAL Devil's Advocate? (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
What were the distinguishing marks? Thanks if you can help!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Robert Lutter

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The first one has two red bars on the back, a second one below the credit listing.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
ok...guess I didn't get the original...thanks for your help... I think i'll trade it back in for Waynes World: The Complete Epic :)
------------------
Robert Lutter

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Rob,
1) Do not bump.
2) If you ignore rule one, wait more than an hour for godssake. Most times questions will not be answered within the first five minutes you post them- this bumping after only waiting 40 minutes for a reply is extremely rude.
Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
Also on the spine of the original version it does not say special edition.
Check out places that sell used DVDs, I see them all the time.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
the difference is that in Al Pacino's character's office there is a huge statue of nude people in a huge swirl (a rough description :) ) which was very simular to a piece made by a sculptor who was never compensated or even credited... long story short, he sued Warner and they digitally changed the statue in the scenes it is in... at least that is what I believe happened... hope that helps...
------------------
Robert Lutter

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen the original film, but have seen it on video... (with the altered, abstract statuary). However, I am from DC, so I am somewhat familiar with the legal debacle. Apparently, the original statuary was very similar to a Frederick Hart piece, called "Ex Nihilo", which serves as the tympanum of the central portal of the National Cathedral. A picture can be found at http://www.frederickhart.com/nihilo.htm
It is unlikely that Hart would have given the producers the rights, had they asked. Interestingly, Hart was a ultra-realist-- regarded by some as rather kitschy. The replacement artwork is probably as anti-Hart as you can get.
http://www.artnet.com/magazine/news/...ews2-19-98.asp
------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The easiest way I've found to tell the two apart is to check the spine. The number on the spine of the original (now rare) edition is:
The new edition with the computer-altered scene of the statuary is numbered:
These numbers are also represented in characters 6-10 of the bottom number on the UPC code (start counting with the "Leading 0" as character #1).
I paid $49 via eBay for my copy of the original edition. Ironically - especially considering the film's subject matter - I purchased my copy from an attorny! > :)
DAVE

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I paid $49 via eBay for my copy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw one used for $15 at a Wherehouse yesterday...
- Steve
DAMN!!!!
frown.gif

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Hello!
I just want clarification about what exactly is different between the two versions. I have the R2 version, with the 2nd red disclaimer box, but the number is 16172.
However, if someone could just inform me if the sculpture is completely removed from the censored version, because in my version the sculpture morphs into human forms when Lomax enters the penthouse and the statues "engage" later on...
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
In the ORIGINAL version, the sculpture features human figures throughout the film. These figures come to life for the film's climax.
In the EDITED version, the sculpture is present throughout the film, but the human figures have been removed from it — it's now just an abstract swirl. For the film's climax, the human figures "morph" into it, and it remains unchanged for the rest of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread