What's new

How do you feel about CBS/Paramount dvd releases? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Has CBS stalled any series after only 1 season?

I find it interesting that Streets Of San Francisco got two full seasons, as did Petticoat Junction and Mod Squad and probably a few more that I'm not aware of. That to me seems to suggest a pattern- especially since, now that these are apparently shelved for the time being, we are seeing new titles like Barnaby Jones, Bilko, etc getting started.

We might just see these new titles get two seasons out, and if they don't get fast tracked, they will revisit the 'stalled' ones.

I know that other studios operate with a limited number of release slots each year. they just can't release any and everything they want or have- they have to budget which properties get released for the first time, which movies get double dipped to tie-in with an upcoming event, etc. It would make sense that CBS is operating under the same constraints and therefore has to mix 'sure things' with the new and unknown to continue functioning.

I'm trying to remain optimistic because right now I really want further seasons of all those seasons I mentioned, but I have a strong feeling none are coming anytime soon. Luckily I'm looking forward to Bilko and would be happy to see another season of Barnaby as well. I can be patient if it's just going to be a matter of cycling through the roster.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

Has CBS stalled any series after only 1 season?

I can be patient if it's just going to be a matter of cycling through the roster.

As to your question about S1 stalls, off the top of my head I can only think of two that CBS/P immediately stalled: One Step Beyond and Love, American Style. Some may think that OSB is too recent a release for me to come to that conclusion, but let me just say that it has indeed been stalled out after initially being scheduled for a S2 & S3 release this year to finish that series up. And of course it's obvious that LAS has been stalled for quite some time. And we almost lost The Lucy Show to a one and done, but fortunately that didn't end up being the case. Some might think Bonanza is another casulty, but I think we'll see S2 before the year is done. I do fear a little for Barnaby Jones, even though I have to admit it's early yet.

I'm not sure about the "cycling through the roster" thing, but I can tell you that CBS/P significantly scaled back their releases for this year, after having about twice as many releases planned. They've pulled back and stalled out quite a few shows that, as of this time last year, they had on their long term schedule. That's a fact. Things like The Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Family Ties, and the aforementioned One Step Beyond were all scheduled to see releases either late last year and/or early this year and of course that hasn't come to pass.

The only thing I believe we can deduce is that the tried and true consistent with TV on DVD releases is that there's a diminishing return as seasons move forward. A Season 1 set will almost always sell better than a Season 2. A S2 better than a S3, and so on. So look at something like the Beverly Hillbillies with Buddy Ebsen. I'm gonna assume that after the S3 release CBS/P looked at the sales figures and thought to themselves that rather than continue with S4 they'd take another Ebsen property (Barnaby Jones) and release a S1 of that, assuming it'd almost have to do better just because it's the first volume of a new series. In that sense, I'd say the "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" philosophy probably does come into play more than we realize. Even though one would think the Hillbillies would have more name recognition and iconic series power than Barnaby, the numbers told CBS to stall out the earlier, more popular, sitcom series in favor of the 70's detective show.

Gary "just my two cents in trying to figure out the wacky world of dvd releases" O.

P.S. I had started composing my long post before I saw that Jack mentioned LAS in front of me.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i would be just happy with Family ties being completed. I have the seasons 1-5. It is disappointed that the season 6 and 7 have not been released.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
In the case of One Step Beyond, I have this sneaking feeling they may simply have abandoned those first plans of imminent S2 and S3 releases for annual Halloween (or there about) releases instead. Well, don't ask me why I think that but it's an idea/hope, and not an all bad or unusual one too actually, as I recall something similar with MGM's Midnite Movies some years ago. It's not like CBS is swimming in horror related titles, so they may be going this route with it.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
hopefully they'll be picking up the releasing of titles for the Christmas shopping season. Maybe they figure Walmart is willing to expand their DVD section for the holidays. Why put stuff out if people aren't looking for them? Hopefully this Fall season we'll get the final volumes of The Fugitive and The Untouchables. They have a couple titles that they've been being regular about. They've also dipped back to release shows that others had termed abandoned.

do think it made zero sense that they had to split Vega$ while Matt Houston got a single season set release.

the positive thought is that DVDs aren't being phased out by Bluray like they did to VHS. Things will need to be released even if it isn't at the aggressive schedule that CBS DVD had in '08 and '09.

robinepowell

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin Powell
I'm still waiting for the eleventh and final season of 7th Heaven to be released which might be announced for a November/December release in a couple of weeks. After that I'm hoping for a complete series announcement, with updated packaging and some extras. Extras which up until now, have not been included on seasons 1-10.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Re: One Step Beyond...

I have waited years to get a good quality complete series and paid the high price for Season One not long ago. But it would suck swamp water if they simply drop the series after hooking people on the first volume who spent their hard earned dollars in hope of completing the series. I know that Amazon has a dropdown for Second Season but when it launches it goes only to the Season One disc. Looks like even the old pre-order links have disappeared?

Let's hope they silently release it by October!

Eric

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I am wondering what happened to the rest of vegas, bonanza, and the untouchables.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfish

Gary "not as positive about Vegas because it's not a show I'm collecting, but I'm really confident we will see the other two released in the last quarter of this year" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Gary "not as positive about Vegas because it's not a show I'm collecting, but I'm really confident we will see the other two released in the last quarter of this year" O.

Sounds good for the Untouchables. I'm a Vegas collector so hopefully we'll hear something about that one as well.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

That's good to hear. Both Bonanza and Untouchables were apearing to be maybe a little late for no announcement. It will be good to have the complete Untouchables with hopefully volume 2 of season 4 following closely in the Spring (even though I haven't even cracked the previous releases open for viewing yet).

It will be interesting to see how far they will go with releasing Bonanza. I can't imagine them getting anywhere close to the 14 seasons. Especially, with this series being released so much later in the evolution of TV shows on DVD and no idea what the future holds in general. I would like to have at least the first 6 seasons though, and I would think they would at least sell pretty well with "Adam" still in the picture. At least I hope they keep up with releasing at least a full season within each year.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Season 3 of the Untouchables is finally coming out on Region 2 in the UK (released on Monday 13th September). All 28 episodes were passed by the BBFC recently.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
UPDATE from my crystal ball:

Sorry guys and gals, but my crystal ball has taken a turn for the worse. Actually, that's not true. The crystal ball is working fine, it's just that I don't like what I'm seeing in it right now. I have to rescend some of the things I mentioned earlier in this thread. All I'll say is that my crystal ball sees more of a slow down on releases than it did a while back. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.

Gary "very bummed myself" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Too bad, but not surprising. This has been their pattern for the last year; less classic releases; classic releases are scheduled and then get postponed or cancelled outright.

The days of an overwhelming number of classic releases each month from CBS/Paramount are long over and I doubt they'll be returning. The more popular shows like Hawaii Five-O and Perry Mason may continue to see releases on a timely schedule; the others may get drips and drabs, and take forever, if that.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Gary, may I,respectfully,ask how you happen to know all this?

Gary "very bummed myself" O.

/forum/thread/300298/how-do-you-feel-about-cbs-paramount-dvd-releases/30#post_3715371

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Wight

Gary, may I,respectfully,ask how you happen to know all this?

Just what I'm reading in my crystal ball. That's it.

Gary "I could be all wet and totally wrong - only time will tell" O.

deb55

Auditioning
Real Name
Debbie Edwards
No I don't think it fair. I like both shows. Have you heard when second season Matt Houston will be release. They are taking there time with it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
How do If feel about them? I don't know if I would call them the abandonment kings in this industry, but they certainly title hop way too much. Constantly in search of the next title that will push many units. I think they will someday return to Happy Days, Laverne, and Shirley, Mork, and Mindy, Barnaby Jones, Hotel, etc. And I think their model for releasing Gunsmoke, and Bonanza is beyond a joke. Roughly one season per year....? I refuse to purchase them. No one, and I mean absolutely no one on this earth should be forced to buy a 20 season monster like Gunsmoke at the rate of 1 season per year. Cruel joke, or bad business sense? You decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks