What's new

How do you arrange your dvd titles? (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
Alphabetical by series.

By this, I mean that the individual movies will be alphabetical, but in the case of, say, The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, and The Muppets Take Manhattan, they will be listed together (in that order) under "M" for Muppet movies.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
but what about titles that fit into more than one Genre? do you buy extras to put under each genre?
Good question, James...only if you'll loan me the cash! :laugh:
Actually, I place the DVD in it's most "obvious" category [to me anyway]. For instance, according to DVD Profiler "Dracula" [1979] is classified as both Horror and Romance. I'd be more likely to look in Horror [next to my other Draculas], so that's where it goes.
I also utilize the reports in DVD Profiler to print a Genre Listing and keep it in a special notebook. Yes, some titles do overlap, but that's life! As long as I can find it, I'm not worried.
I was also thinking of using my printer to print custom cards similar in size and font to my new ones. I think I'd definitely need "Romance", "Television", and maybe a "New Release" card. I'd like a "Science Fiction" category, but the more categories, the more difficult to find the DVD. I mean, where would you look for "Aliens"? So I put the SciFi with the Action/Thrillers.
It's a work in progress. :alien:

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Jenna:
I really agree with you. I am the one using the DVDs and I don't have 550+. I just use it to be ablt to find tyhe DVD I want, which seems to be easier for me when they are in Genre. I and the guests of my Theater rarely know exactly what movie they would like to watch. So I just go striaight to DVD profiler and find the genre and let my guests choose the DVD. Then I go to that genre in my collection and watch the movie. I really utalize DVD profiler and my guests love picking the movie from Profiler. It just really works for me and my Home Theater. :)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Alphabetically is good enough for me, basically because i have less than 50 titles, so it isn't a problem.

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
By genre:

Kids

Comedy

Thiller/drama

Action/Horror

and Alphabetically, with numbers treated as if they were spelled out, within the genre.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I had them alphabetical...but I am going about and changing that this weekend. I like the idea of having the DVD's seperated by Studio. I've always kept my MST3K discs seperate from the other DVD's and it does look nice the way all of the spines are color coded and similar.

Bruce

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I have a question for those who group sequels together.

This is easy for Die Hard or Batman movies. But what about when sequels don't share the same base names? What about when a sequel isn't really a sequel, in that it has nothing to do with the first movie, but maybe shares key characters? For examples, "Kiss the Girls" and "Along Came a Spider", or "The Fugitive" and "US Marshalls".

James L White

Supporting Actor
good question JustinR. I group them together , for example the Cheech & Chong movies I group under "C" and then I group each film in order of when the movies were made.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I keep all my DVDs in Case Logic binders. I have four of them so far (adding 5 pages makes 50 DVDs per case). Using DVD Profiler to make reports I have an alphabetical listing of all the DVDs with a reference to their case number and page. That way I just put new DVDs in the next open spot in the case and add it to the listing. It is the only way to find one quickly with 184 DVDs. I can't imagine searching for a DVD with the collection sizes for some of the members on this forum.
I have been reading this forum for ages and I'm going to start posting now :D

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Mine goes like this: First, keepcases organized alphabetically, then slipcases organized alphabetically, then snappers organized alphabetically, then unclassifiables (like BOTD) and box sets.

Geoffrey L

Auditioning
I like to arrange mine in a 6 steps to Kevin Bacon sort of way.First I have Wildthings(Bacon).Then I have Scream(Neve Cambell)Then on and on till all 530 are arranged.its like a whole new game every time I get a new movie.:D Ok I lied they are genre then alpha

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
good question JustinR. I group them together , for example the Cheech & Chong movies I group under "C" and then I group each film in order of when the movies were made.
What would you do in the case of "Kiss the Girls" and "Along Came a Spider"? Would you put "Kiss the Girls" in the appropriate spot for "K", with "Along Came a Spider" right after it, which is the wrong place for an "A" movie, or would you put it in the right spot alphabetically for an "A" movie, even though it is basically a sequel?

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have mine in alphabetic order with numbers spelled out. This seems to be the easiest way to catalog and find. I really hate going to stores and trying to figure out what genre they have shelved a particular movie. Is a Western movie considered Action or Drama?

Gavin_L

Second Unit
Since i first started collecting many years ago i never really organized my dvds. After having my cousin up here for the fourth, he said i should organize my dvds, so i spent today doing that.

Today i decided to organized my dvds Alphabetically into different Genre's

these are the genre's I split up my movies in

* Comedy

* Action/ Adventure/ Thriller

* Horror/ Sci Fi

* Drama

* Misc which includes tv and music, and also Family/Kids

* New Releases and My Special Picks (Faves)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Snappers first, then chronological order, then special cases (Unbreakable, Fight Club, Se7en) and finally, box sets (X-File Seasons).

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
alphabetical by studio, exceptions to the rule, box sets, slip covers and collections Criterion/ Superbit ect and seperate studio collections get seperate shelf space.

James L White

Supporting Actor
What would you do in the case of "Kiss the Girls" and "Along Came a Spider"? Would you put "Kiss the Girls" in the appropriate spot for "K", with "Along Came a Spider" right after it, which is the wrong place for an "A" movie, or would you put it in the right spot alphabetically for an "A" movie, even though it is basically a sequel?
I wouldn't own own Kiss The Girls and Alogn Came A Spider
;)
seriously I'd rpobably put them under
"K"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks