What's new

How do you arrange your dvd titles? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Alpha by Genre. Except for Hitchcock and Bond movies which have their own catagory. They are filed chronologically!

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Alphabetically. Titles begining with an article 'A, An, The' get filed in alphabetical order by the first word in the title not including the article, for eg. 'The Bone Collector' gets filed under 'B'. Also films begining with numbers (1, 2 etc) I file alphabetically based on the sound, for eg. '15 Minutes' gets filed under 'F'. This is helpful to find titles where one is not sure if the title of the film uses digits or is spelt out phoenitically. Films with sequels and special series like 'James Bond' get filed under the name that the series goes by. All James Bond Films get filed under 'J' and then the indivual films title. The Indian Jones trilogy gets filed under 'I' in order of 1, 2 & 3. Where 1 is Raiders of The Lost Arc and 3 is Indiana Jone and The Last Crusade. Oh, before anyone starts thinging bootleg, I am referring to the Laser Discs of the Indy series. :)
Sanjay
Member since 1997

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Genre alphabetically. I determine what genre something is(I think Spy Game is a drama, not action like all retailers think). I used to have them in order of purchase, then when I broke the 100 mark I started Alpha, then genre alpha. My friend does them chronologicly by year of original release, that way he keeps track of what decade he needs to buy more of the balance his collection.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I arrange according to genre. All family/animated stuff together, scifi, action, drama etc.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I recently had to reorganize because I just filled up my third shelf (up to 93 movies now!)
Before I had: Chaplin Boxed Set, Kubrick Collection (production order), Vista Series, disney treasures, Disney Platinum and collectors, criterion (spine number), alpha by keepcase, alpha by snapper.
Now so I can keep all of my Disney title on the top shelf together it is: Vista Series, Vault Disney (red to blue by spines), Disney Treasures, Disney Platinum and collectors, criterion (spine number), alpha by keepcase, alpha by snapper, kubrick collection (production order), Chaplin boxed set.
I keep Criterion separate because they look great together, though I wish'd they'd kept with the solid black spines), likewise for disney, all the disney titles I have are two disc affairs, all in double alphas, so they all look fantastic lined up together. Vista Series is separate because they look together and don't stand out as much from the other titles, I further rationalize this by they should be with Disney because they are buena vista. Since it appears that Buena Vista is keeping the series selective to only a handful of titles a year, I'll probably end up buying all of them as with Vault Disney and Disney Treasures. :)
I hate snappers and will be converting all of mine sometime this summer whne I have the spare cash and time. I might convert some other packaging, mainly slim amarays into two disc alphas, and stupid packaging like CE3K, but keep soem special discs, like Moulin Rouge and Fight Club in thier original packaging. :)

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
I arrange mine alphabetically, with the numbers first. My biggest challenges were Pi and Se7en. (Pi went first and Se7en went under S :) .)

Art Martinez

Stunt Coordinator
I have mine (250+) alphabetically, except I have a seperate section for the top 100 grossing movies of all time. US box office gross. Unfortunatly I can't get mant of the top grossing movies as they are not released yet. Star Wars Ep. 4-6, Indianna Jones, BTTF etc.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Alphabetically, since this is how I do my CD collection. Back when that was 1100+ strong, I used to have it by genre, but there was too much bleeding and cross-genre stuff (Rush: hard rock or progresive rock?).

My DVD box sets go in order of how they fit. For example, The Kubrick Collection is all under K, Ultimate Toy Box is under T, and the Monty Python Flying Circus 14 disc set is under M, just after the Monty Python films.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
In Case Logic Binders by Genre. Bond, Disney, Sci-fi, etc. With the covers in in Boxes in storage. When I moved to Germany I could not see shipping all the covers, now when I buy new DVD's I stick to the Case Logic System.

kd

Will K

Screenwriter
1) Cher

2) James Bond

3) David Lynch

4) Horror

5) Films that featured a llama, animated or live

6) The rest in alpha

Mike H

Stunt Coordinator
I sort mine numerically by the DVD Disc ID that pops up in DVD profiler.

Actually I just do it alphabetically by disc case type. Keep Case, Snapper, & Others. I plan on getting around to putting them all in keep cases.

Mike

Bjorn Svendsen

Auditioning
I divide my collection into three categories

1) Box-sets

2) criterion collection

3) other releases

the categories are seperated from each other so as to elevate the importance of some releases being cooler than others. category 1 and 3 are arranged alphabetically after the first word not numbers and not words like "a", "the" and etc, being used as a first word, for instanse Stanley Kubricks 2001: a space odyssey is located under "s" for space.

category nr. 2 the criterion collection, which has a special place in my heart due to their fantastic treatment of the dvd media and the art that is film. the criterions which are in my collection are arranged according to their spine nr. I do this because I regard the criterion collection as being a collection for collector's of influential film, and they are therefore special.

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
A long, long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) - when I actually had shelf space for my DVDs I stored them primarily by studio and then alphabetically. Some excepttions are stuff like the Bond box sets, they are rearanged within the boxes and then placed chronologically.
Today about 200 of my DVDs have shelf space, the rest are in horisontal piles. 4 piles on top of my DVD-player, 8 piles on a bigh shelf behind the HT setup, 3 piles in my bedroom.
With close to 600 DVDs and only space for about 200 of them to be stored spine out in a shelf, this is becoming something of a problem :)

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
By "disc-type", which is bascially by studio but in the case of say New Line, the Infinifilm's are all grouped together, followed by the Platinum series and then their "standard" releases. Of course, so all (or most anyway) of my snappers are togeter, New Line sits right next to Time Warner.

Within the "series" they are alphabetical.

-Alan

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
For the most part, in the order I have watched them. I have one bookcase and a couple of boxes full that I haven't watched yet(around 200), in no particular order. The few that are movies I have never seen are between bookends on top of the TV. Box sets are displayed on the top of bookcases and the mantle in no particular order. Music videos are in shelves in my AV cabinet (in the order watched). The vast majority are in various bookcases (mostly AV types) in the order watched. With my collection approaching 1500, it doesn't make sense to try to keep them in any particular order. I am out of bookcase space again, so some will be going in boxes until I make room for a new one in my study.

They are easy for me to find. I use DVD Profiler to keep track of what I have and use the "collection number" to mean shelf location. I periodically print out a listing in alphabetical order with the collection number (location) on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks