What's new

How Do Scammers get your phone number? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I'm always curious. When people datamine to collect your phone number(i.e. sites to signup for like message boards, or online order forms), do they sell it to anyone who wants it?

We just had a scammer call us three times this week, asking for my mother. They got me, and when I told them she wasn't home, they hung up. When my father answered, they claimed they where from Visa, but when he asked them for the information a Visa company should know about our account, they couldn't provide it.

How do these 'people' get your number? through the phonebook? I find it a little scary...

Neil

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Neil, I would highly recommend MSN columnist Liz Pulliam Weston's article

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...liz_weston.asp

For many answers to your questions. I was shocked when I read this, then furious.

We are all busting our asses to prevent identity theft, and things like this happen. What really gets me is that I read something a few years back about places that have the LEGAL RIGHT to sell social security numbers.

I have an intense loathing for "credit bureaus" such as Equifax. I had a run in with one years ago, about a credit report "irregularity" that caused me to be turned down for a loan. I wrote to them, asking about getting a copy of my report so that I could look it over. I got a condescending response about "protecting" my privacy, and that it would cost - I don't remember the exact number, but it seemed exorbitant. I fired back with a nasty letter that if they were so concerned about my privacy, why was it that every Tom Dick and Harry could see that report, free, while I had to pay for it? They sent me a copy of the report, gratis.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
the do not call list? but the spammers have a RIGHT to call you! will someone please think of the poor spammers?

such a weak argument, isn't it?.

CJ

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If they are scammers, they probably don't care if you are on the 'do not call list' or not. Scammers don't care much about laws.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Actually, I did. We STILL get these calls...mostly annoying campaign adds, the boyscouts, donation to police funds. I wouldn't mind the donation to police funds one, but who knows if it's legit or not? I'm certainly not giving them my card number off the phone.

I'm seriously considering trying to convince the familly to drop the land line and go cell phone...

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Do you not have Caller ID? If someone calls me and I don't recognize the number or the number doesn't come through, I let the answering machine pick up.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You would be surprised how much information on you is available on the internet. Phone numbers are easy, if it is a listed number, it will appear in dozens of online directories along with all your other contact info.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just fyi, I got THREE telemarketing calls last week on my cell phone. 2 during work, one at home.

I just added my cell # to the Do Not Call list, but they shouldn't be calling it in the first place. :frowning:

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm that IS disturbing. I thought it was illegal to do that, or sell those numbers? Are we not safe ANYWHERE? :)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I get calls for some woman who used to have my cell phone number. I've managed to get everyone to stop but this one company keeps calling even after I told them they have the wrong number. Their number always shows up as 1-555-555-5555, which surely cannot be legal.

The last time they called I pretended she wasn't home and could I take a message. The idiot told me the company he worked for (Pacific Monarch which is a timeshare rip off company) and a number to call back. I then proceeded to rip into the guy that I've told them four times previous to stop calling, etc and now I know who they are and where to find them if they called again I'd sue them for harrassment, etc. We'll see if they call again, and if they do I'll tell them the call is being recorded and go off again.

I've also added my cell to the Do Not Call list but from what I've read this company doesn't care.

-paul

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Me too. I also love my 'unknown call block' feature that will only let caller ID's (with names) through. Not that they don't get through (either by using a fake name or a marketing name), but at least it cuts down on a lot of calls that I used to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks