What's new

How do I start a petition for SCTV on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Indian Head
?!?
Whoa Ron, you must be as least as old as I to recall this!! :D I'd especially like to see a disc of SCTV material that covered their program prior to the NBC era (early 80s; that is to say, the advent of Bob and Doug, and the rise of Martin Short, who is singularily un-funny, I must say). Moe Green, Station Manager!
It was with considerable regret this past fall, that I donated to my local Goodwill two non-functioning Betamaxes (Betamaxii?) and all my Beta tapes, including my SCTV archive, lovingly recorded with all comercials edited out. Johnny LaRue, Lola Heatherton, Sammy Maudlin...I hardly knew ye!!
Cheers, gang!
DS.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
SCTV was on Comedy Central about 7-8 years ago, but the rights for broadcast in the US are solely with NBC, I think. They showed reruns at 1:30 AM M-Th all last year, ending with the premiere of the odious Carson Daly show on January 7. Blech.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The SCTV series would be perfect for DVD either way. Can you imagine the extra's and junk they could have in there? :cool: Hilarious. I look forward to the possibility :)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
A year later and my lazy behind hasn't produced a letter to Dave Thomas yet. Perhaps I'll sit down and write a brief letter.
:)

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
Wow, talk about back from the dead! ;)
Yes, it'd be intersting to see if there were any new developments about the possibility of releasing SCTV on DVD, especially considering all the TV shows that are coming out on DVD now.
For me, I'd buy SCTV season sets anytime, anywhere!

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I've been thinking a lot about this show lately. I guess it started after I saw "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". I found myself cracking up during the movie because I was harking back to Andrea Martin's other characters. That lead to Eugene Levy, which lead to Joe Flaherty...
Now that I think about it, I don't remember much abut MBFGW. :D
Bottom line... me too! :emoji_thumbsup:
C

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I would defintly add SCTV to my wish list at Amazon.com & DVD Aficionado, for purchase in the future, but only if SCTV is released on DVD in season format.

The current owners of SCTV should understand that there is a demand for SCTV on DVD in season format.

Chris PC,

I am very interested in seeing SCTV on DVD in season format. I am behind you all the way.

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator
Like Ron I remember the Indian Head logo at the start of the pre-NBC half hour episodes. I would tune these episodes in on some obscure UHF station out of NYC, and I was convinced that I had tuned into a station from outer space. It was so unlike anything I had ever seen before that it blew my little high school mind.

"Sammy Maudlin, I want to have your baby!"

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
LOL ... Indian Head log ... I forgot all about that. :laugh:
" .. SCTV is now on the air! ....."
From imdb:
John Candy - Johnny LaRue/Mayor Tommy Shanks (1976-1978)
Joe Flaherty - Guy Caballero/Floyd Robertson/Count Floyd
Eugene Levy - Earl Camembert/Stan Schmenge/Bobby Bittman
Andrea Martin - Edith Prickley/Lorna Minelli/Edna Boil/Indira Gandhi
Catherine O'Hara - Lola Heatherton (1976-1978)
Rick Moranis - Bob McKenzie/Gerry Todd/Skip Bittman/David Brinkley/Woody Allen (1980-1981)
Dave Thomas - Doug McKenzie/Angus Crock/Walter Cronkite/Bob Hope/Tex Boil/
Harold Ramis - Moe Green (1976-1977)
Martin Short - Ed Grimley/Jackie Rogers, Jr.
The only thing funnier on TV was SNL - with the original cast of course! (Dan Ackoyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Lorraine Newman, Gilda Radner, Garrett Morris, Andy Kaufman)

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
There is a Q&A with Jason Brett, the President of Second City Entertainment, on the Second City's website. Regarding SCTV on DVD, he says that, "it looks like we've cleared the hurdles (music rights) to make this available to the world within a year or so."
http://www.secondcity.com/tv-film/sc...ions/brett.asp
I had some email correspondence with Andrew Alexander, Second City's CEO, and he was inquring as to whether "hard core fans" would prefer a boxed set of all 39 NBC 90-minute eps. - as opposed to season/cycle sets I presume - so it looks like we're getting close to this anyway. I'm curious to see exactly how much music they were able to clear. If Second City can get SCTV out on DVD, you'd think Fox could release WKRP.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd take it anyway I can! I never saw the 90 minute episodes, and as far as I can tell, the 30 min reruns have always been cut and paste affairs. I'd love to see them as they were ORIGINALLY made to air, preferably in season sets, and if that means no 90 minute shows, or a mix of them both, then so be it.

"Polynesian Town" MUST be made available on DVD!! (Every time I see that crane shot, I get a tear to my eye!)

KrisM

Second Unit
I used to live down the street from where the intro was filmed and you have no idea how many times my room-mate and I would have a few beers and talk about wanting to throw a tv off that building. I guess its a good thing we were too drunk to drive and the tv was too heavy to carry.:)
Regards
KrisM

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Right now, I'm only aware of plans for the NBC 90-minute eps. Cycle 1 of SCTV Network 90 contained alot of the syndicated sketches in order to pad out the 90-minute format. So if this release happens, classics like the "Leave It To Beaver" and "Fantasy Island" sketches will see the light of day on DVD. I'll miss the "Midnight Express Special" sketch - one of my personal favorites. I'm curious to see how much of the music they were able to clear. There were some really music-heavy sketches on that show - not to mention the musical guest performances.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
The SCTV library is reportedly in the hands of Shout! Factory, Rhino Entertainment co-founder, Richard Foos, new company. Some DVD releases are planned for the fall but there are no further details.:D

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Shout! Factory is close to finalizing the deal and they hope to have season 1 on DVD (w/ plenty of extras) for Christmas. Are you listening, Santa?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks