What's new

How do I start a petition for SCTV on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I think I might write Dave Thomas and express my interest in SCTV on DVD, but it would help to have more people behind the demand for a DVD. Trouble is, I have to re-read the book Dave Thomas wrote to see if I can figure out who has the rights to what. I know that SCTV was recorded and shown under at least two different roofs, but I'm not sure.

So is anyone else interested in this?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Please explain. What is SCTV?
I think I'm gonna faint.
Second City Television (Canada). A television skit show from the 80's.
With the cast of Eugene Levy, John Candy, Dave Thomas,
Rick Moranis, Martin Short, Catherine Ohara, Joe Flarehty, Andrea Martin and others.
http://sctvguide.ca/
I'd love to see this on DVD. In the meantime I'll watch it on Comedy Network.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The big problem -- and it's been mentioned here more than once -- with SCTV on home video and DVD lies in music rights. The SCTV shows, particularly the early ones, cribbed all sorts of music from any number of sources without the proper clearances, nearly all of them without any sort of thought to later home video releases.

That's why there's only one SCTV video release ("The Best of John Candy") even on VHS. A damn shame-- I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
A few years ago, Dave Thomas told me that NBC had purchased the rights to ALL the SCTV, including the pre-NBC episodes that originally aired in syndication.

Apparently, when Martin Short was on SNL, they were concerned that he was doing characters, like Ed Grimley, that he had created on SCTV and they didn't want to have any potential legal problems.

So, NBC is the target, guys.

Oh, and lets also target my ex-wife, who made off with my VHS tapes of ALL the NBC SCTV episodes as they were originally telecast.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I read an article in the NY Daily News a few weeks ago following up on what SCTV people are up to, and it said in passing that an SCTV DVD is in the works.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've spoken to the person who controls the rights of SCTV (she lives here in Edmonton).

I asked her if she wanted help in determining the demand for SCTV on DVD. She politely asked me not to put the information on my site and that they weren't interested. I was rather shocked by the response, but whatever.

As far as I know the rights to the show are still owned by Global TV in Canada.

As previously mentioned, music rights would be a big factor with this show. My friend watched someone he works with cut some episodes for syndication, removing the music they didn't have the rights for.

Gord

George_Reis

Stunt Coordinator
"What is SCTV?" -- Now I feel really old. It's just about the best show of the last 25 years! I'm praying for these on DVD as well. May the good lord take a liking to ya and blow ya up reeeeal soon!

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Put me in for a copy! Hopefully in season box sets! Dub in different music if you have to, but get this one out!

Page

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a big SCTV fan and have been following the news about a SCTV DVD for many years. I'll second what Bob_L said. Target NBC.

(The show until recently had been broadcast in the slot after "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" at Los Angeles's NBC affliate. Now "Later With Carson Daily" is in the slot. Is that Carson Dalily show any good?)

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see some old episodes!! Watched the show all the time in college. Interestingly, I just ordered the John Candy VHS last week, but I haven't watched it yet.

1.Me and my kids do pull up our pants to our chest saying "I must say!!"

2."Cabbage rolls and coffee, mm, mm, good!"

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I think NBC has just purchased the rights to air the show, nothing more. I can't see Global TV parting with the show since it's probably the most popular show they own the rights to.

Gord

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Gord:
I only know what Dave told me. Could be he had it incorrect.
And while we're making our demands :) Let's also get a DVD release of "The Last Polka," an incredible mockumentary that aired on Cinemax featuring the final public performances of Stan and Yosh Schmenge.
Moranis' medley of tunes as vocalist Linsk Minyik is HILARIOUS. You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll polka down both legs.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
There have been earlier threads supporting the release of SCTV on DVD. Nothing ever happened, but I will remain ever hopeful of seeing Guy Caballero, Count Floyd, Dr. T's House of 3D, Bob and Doug, Pirini Scliroso, Lola Heatherton and more on DVD.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Just put SCTV on DVD (preferably box sets) and I'll buy....ANYTIME, ANYPLACE, and for ANY $$$!!!!!!!!!!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'd also kill for some SCTV on DVD. Possibly my favorite TV show ever. Frankly, I expect the quality would suck, but it'd have to be better than my more-than-a-decade-old VHS tapes, so I'd take it. (Though I believe the chances of anything more than "best of" compilations are virtually nil. I suppose it's possible, but I seriously doubt it.)

And for the record, SCTV started in the Seventies, not the Eighties. Actually, it existed as long in the former as it did in the latter, though it definitely gained its greatest exposure in 1982 with the whole McKenzie brothers thing...

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well. If you really like SCTV, then buy the book that Dave Thomas wrote. It has all the episodes. I have personally seen only about 25 to 33% of the actual aired shows.
Sorry, I have to quote some of my favorite lines! there are too many, so I will brain fart just few of them here :)
"Uzbek's, Uzbek's, DON'T GIVE THEM MATCHES!!"
Advertising about nasty Uzbek's.
"How there's colour? Cause there's scanners in there!! Thats why! Use you head, you've gotta use your head!"
Mr. Science on why TV's have colour
the memories just flow in my brain:
"Could you give me a level on the mic, please?"
"SPEAKERS FALLING!!!"
Chick Monk - Marriage Roadie
It just goes on and on. Probably the craziest, zaniest thing on TV.
OK. I still want this on DVD, so I'm going to look into it a little more. Dave Thomas, Global TV and NBC. HHHmmmmm, there's no telling what we'll find!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys say that SCTV is on Comedy Central?

When does it air?

This is an old favorite of mine going back

to its earliest days with the Indian Head

test pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks