What's new

How do I get my 24fps/120hz "Motion Flow" feature to work with my Onkyo receiver?? (1 Viewer)

tacio25

Auditioning
Real Name
Stacey Hernandez
I have been trying to hard to figure out how to get my 120hz feature of my Mitsubishi TV to work when using my Onkyo surround sound system. Currently I have:

Sony PS3, X-Box 360, and HD Direct TV tuner passing through my Onkyo receiver. These all pass though the Onkyo receiver then go out to my 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP TV.

The PS3 and X-Box 360 connect to the Onkyo receiver via component cables, then go to the TV by component cable. The Direct TV HD tuner is connected to the Onkyo receiver by HDMI and then to the TV by HDMI as well.

I have spoken to a few other people and the look I am going for is the "Camcorder" or "Motion Flow" visual feature that my tv offers. Like what you would see in any audio visual store (Fry's, Best Buy). I am just not sure if my Onkyo will allow it to happen.

Is there a way to have the PS3, X-Box 360, and Direct TV tuner to connect to the TV directly, then have the TV sound output go to the Onkyo receiver? That way only sound is sent to the Onkyo and the video isn't touched at all by the Onkyo receiver?

Specs:

Sony PS3 with 3D software update

X-Box 360 with HD video external drive

Onkyo HT-S5100 theater system with Onkyo HT-R560 receiver

Mitsubishi 65" DLP TV WD-65737 series (1080p, 120hz)

Any help with this would be so helpful! I have tried going through the Onkyo manual many times with no real answers.

Would it work better if the PS3 and X-Box were connected with HDMI as well?

Thank you in advance!!

Stacey

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It will definitely be better if the ps3 is connected by HDMI, since it is a blu ray player, and puts out 1080p. You can't get 1080p using the component cables. Not sure if Xbox puts out 1080p. If not, component is fine for it. Unless you rent the 1080p movies from DirecTv's on demand service, I'd just use component from their receiver too, since nothing else they broadcast is in 1080p.

The Onkyo receiver really shouldn't have anything to do with the 120hz of the tv. Most people have that turned off anyway. It creates problems with other things for a lot of people. I also think the only way you get 24 fps is when watching a blu ray movie. If you've not been getting that with blu rays, it may be because of the component cables. Change the ps3 to HDMI, and that should work. Of course, make sure the ps3 and tv are setup for 24 fps in their menus. On my tv (Samsung LED DLP), when it's just starting a blu ray movie, a box comes up in the upper left corner, telling me it's 1080p and 24 fps. The previews and other extras are not (not usually).

I hope this helps. Good luck!

tacio25

Auditioning
Real Name
Stacey Hernandez
Thank youso much for the information. I will definitely replace my component cables with HDMI ones to get the full potential from both the PS3 and the X-Box HD drive. I will hopefully find what I am looking for and report back to you my results.

Thank you again!

tacio25

Auditioning
Real Name
Stacey Hernandez
I replaced my cables with HDMI and now can't get video to show up on my TV from the PS3. I don't know if it's a setting with the Onkyo or with the PS3. I tried changing the settings on the Onkyo and to my knowledge its set up correctly.

tacio25

Auditioning
Real Name
Stacey Hernandez
So I tried it again first thing this morning. I have both hooked up, and it gives me the option, but when i select it, the screen goes blank for 30 sec. then switches back. I have the inputs set up correctly on the Onkyo and the TV so I can't figure out what the problem is!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
when you do the settings on the ps3. it will will go blank for a bit and then ask if the setting is working for you. then you say yes. it should be good to go. the tv should be able to do it. does the tv do 3d or the receiver? Jacob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks