What's new

How do I extend / bridge my wired network? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My Airport Extreme Base Station's 3 ethernet ports are full, and I want to connect a fourth wired device to it. How can I do this?

The third ethernet output runs to the living room, connecting the Tivo to the LAN. I plan to add a videogame system which also needs to be networked. Can I connect that ethernet cable into the WAN input of a wired hub or router and then plug the Tivo and videogame into the outputs of the hub/router?

I don't know the language to use to effectively google this solution. Everything is about extending a wireless network, but I want to be wired.

Thanks for any help.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've been curious about this as well, as I'm expanding my wired/wireless network. The one thing I'm pretty sure of is that a router will not work. The thing I wondered is if a regular switch will.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I should ask: is there any "magic sauce" after that? Special settings for the AEBS, or simply plug and play?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Switches don't have settings at all. You just have to use the #1 port for "upstream", aka, going toward the internet source.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Make sure you get a switch though, not just a hub. Hubs are prone to data collisions while switches have software to internally manage data paths on the downstream network. Usually, you can attach up to 254 devices to a single router (based on the typical default subnet mask), meaning you can daisy chain multiple switches as needed.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't think hubs were even made anymore. The term has just stuck.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There's switch on sale this week, similar to what Joe suggested, for $15 that I think will do the trick.

I think I'm getting an XBox 360, which I need to connect, with my Tivo to a single ethernet output in the living room. I plan to get the switch, plug the ethernet cable to its input, and the Tivo & 360 to the outputs of the switch. And hopefully it will just work.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

I run into a hub for sale every so often at CompUSA, so you just have to pay attention. Probably old stock. If it actually says hub on the package you need to avoid it.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
No. They went out of business because they tried competing with Best Buy and Circuit City rather than sticking to what they were good at, which was a dedicated computer/parts/software shop. I was so happy when TigerDirect re-opened my CompUSA in its old form. Now I can find what I need for clients that are in a hurry without having to wait for shipping.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A followup: I'd given a friend my old Linksys router / switch. He gave it back; he wasn't using it. I plugged in my LAN cable to the uplink port, and plugged the Tivo into port 1 and it worked normally. I then added my new Xbox 360 to port 2 and it connected onilne without issue.

So pleased this network configuration was free and trivial.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks