What's new

How did you stumble across the Hometheaterforum.com? (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I found this site about 3-4 years ago from an add placed in the back of DVDETC magazine. I had bought my first avr (AIWA DV-75) in 2001 and quickly realized that even though I had been listening to music for close to 30 years, mostly via headphones or in the car, I really didn't know what I was doing. So I started buying magazines and did learn a few things, but also knew that they had their limitations. Then I saw the add. I've learned quite a bit around here the last 3-4 years but needless to say, I still have a long way to go. Hopefully HTF will continue to help get me there. So how, and why, did you find this place?

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK

Written on the wall of a bathroom stall. :laugh: JK

Found the forum when The Digital Bits had a mention of an online chat that HTF was hosting.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was a member of DVDtalk back in 1999 and a lot of it's members were also members here, so I used to come here for info, but never joined. It wasn't until I had issues with that other site, that I came here as a member.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I used to go to DVDFile all the time and post on their boards and read their reviews for about a year & 1/2 (circa 97-99) and then someone there mentioned The Digital Bits as a site that had good info on up coming DVD releases so I started browsing around there for a few days until I noticed a button that said "forums"....I though hey, they have a discussion board as well...it was actually a link to our little haven here at HTF and I right away noticed how the members here didn't have the shitty attitude and newsgroup mentality that frankly most people over at DVDFile had...haven't been back there since. ;)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I used to hang around the old CompuServe forums many years ago until the day we got dial-up Internet service at our offices. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly how I found this place, but it must have been no more than a year after it was started. Ever since, I've evolved from VHS to Laserdisc to DVD.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Now there's a name out of the past. I used to make occasional deliveries to their Dublin, CA office and had no idea what they did. Never got up the nerve to ask because I was afraid I still wouldn't know even after they told me!

Peco

Auditioning
Real Name
Peco
Google search on "Home Theater", who would of thought!!

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I also came over after spending a lot of time at DVDTalk back in the glory days of the internet deals. It took a long time before I signed up here because at first I thought the members were snooty and the discussions out of my league. See? It's all your fault for making me feel inferior.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I searched Google for "Home Theater Forum" (didn't expect the exact name) and wallah, guess what was on top of the list?

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I googled "OAR/DTS vs. DD/Turkey Knapp" and the search engine said "Google hasn't been formed yet", so I did the same search on Webcrawler and viola!

Bruce

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It was September 1998, and I had just acquired my first "big screen" TV (A 55" Pioneer.) I quickly discovered that VHS just wasn't going to be good enough anymore (plus trying to view P&S transfers on this thing was actually making me dizzy!) So I was trying to decide between the mature LD format and this emerging new "DVD thing". In the course of searching around the 'net I stumbled into "The Digital Bits" site. He had a story on there about how the newly re-mastered Indiana Jones movies weren't going to DVD - and there wasn't enough interest in domestic LD anymore so they wouldn't show up there either. The upshot was that they were going to be released to VHS Widescreen only! When I read that I knew that LD was dead. While looking over his site, I found a link he had provided to this Forum. I lurked for awhile and then joined. I purchased my first DVD player in November of 1998 after reading posts from some knowledgeable members here.

I certainly do appreciate all the great work Ron and Parker and all of the great administrators over the years have provided in making this place the "Home Theater Mecca" for great information on all things related to capturing the Theater Experience in the home!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I was relaxing and reading a book out in the country one April morning when a white rabbit suddenly appeared! I followed and... here I am!

It's been a while but I think it was a link at Digital Bits that got me here. My first thread was asking if there were any David Lynch Dune fans on the forum, I still have it archived in a folder on my desktop, 22 people responded. Which surprised me, I'd never joined a forum before, so I thought I'd stay a while longer.... ;)

mylan

Screenwriter
I was snowed in one cold January day back in '05 and we had moved into our new house three months prior complete with a dedicated theater and I was bored and wanted some info so I put home theater in a search engine (can't remember which one) and HTF came up nearly at the top. I began reading and realized I wished I had found this site sooner so I could have prevented a few mistakes I had made while designing my theater. I had a decent working knowledge of HT and equipment but it just blew me away at all I did not know about ID speaker companies, like SVS, and room design that could have saved me a whole lot of "should haves".

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I was hipped over here in March 2000 by a person who had sold me a Millennium 2.4.6. DTS Decoder to follow-up more information regarding DTS itself, which I was just starting to get into at the time (as I had just began getting into home theater itself the preceeding year).

Once I came aboard, I have never left. I could not post here for a while due to dated on-line equipment, but I am back now thanks be to advanced modern techology and broadband access--and here to stay as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
HTF was a link on Steve Tannehill's old DVD Resource site. If I recall correctly, Steve's comment accompanying the link was something like "bland boring over-moderated forum for those who are tired of all the squabbling here". :laugh:

For those of you too young to remember, DVD Savant says "Steve decided to fold that very influential, crusading site on December 31, 2000. DVD Resource had the ear of the industry biggies in '98 and '99; Steve can take serious credit for hastening the stillbirth of DIVX, a threat happily forgotten now."

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have been a lurker since 99. Didnt have anything to say until 03. I still dont have much to say, but here i am anyway! Found this site as a link on the Digital Bits. Been reading The Bits since i bought a DVD player, in 97. Loved Steve's site too!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
How did I stumble across the Hometheaterforum.com? Well, somebody left it lying across the floor, and it was pretty dark, so. . . .

I don't remember exactly how, but I was searching for a way to contact the studios about releasing Phantasm II. One of the links happened to be the HTF. Still no R1 Phantasm II.

Users who are viewing this thread