What's new

How did you deal with the agonizing wait?? (1 Viewer)

TonyWright

Second Unit
Frank,

When you say "toe" them in, are you suggesting they be turned in to point more at the seating position in front of the RPTV?

Currently I have them turned inward to point at the listening position. I am looking forward to moving them forward with the center channel. It should be a good weekend of configuring ahead of me!

Thanks for your sugestions

Tony

TonyWright

Second Unit
I was just thinking, I bet I am going to have a lot of trouble dealing with WAF regarding moving those mains forward. She'll be very displeased with that. :frowning:

I wonder if another position might help with reflections where WAF would be less of an issue.

Looks like I have my work cut out for me this weekend...

Tony

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
__________________________________________________ ________

I was just thinking, I bet I am going to have a lot of trouble dealing with WAF regarding moving those mains forward. She'll be very displeased with that.

I wonder if another position might help with reflections where WAF would be less of an issue.

Wow...I keep forgetting that I am not married (did many years ago and remember she didn't like my audio hobby stuff either, particularly large speakers!), so I tend to omit the "WAF" issue. Sorry about that! :b

Now, there is one possible solution to your "problem" if you must keep the Swans in their current location:

You could build (or purchase if they're available) two acoustic panels made out good grade 1/4" plywood, just tall and deep enough to "fit" the sides of the RPTV set (you have to figure out a way to keep the panels on the set while preventing them from falling down, but I reckon that won't be much of a problem if the panels just sort of lie against the sides of the TV).
Use something like pillow stuffing synthetic "fluff" or even fiberglass insulation (2-4 inches thick) and either glue it or staple it to one side of the plywood panels.
You can totally cover the acoustics-taming panels with speaker grill cloth or other acoustically transparent material, dyed to match your TV set's color scheme.
Presto! Problem solved... :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

TonyWright

Second Unit
She would but that center weighs 40lbs and the top of the RPTV is very narrow. I would need some sort or support system.

Has anyone ever seen anything like that?

Thanks,

Tony

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses, Tony and Jack. Can either of you comment on the lack of a rear wall in the theater room? My room isn't going to have one, and so I'm wondering how the ambient sound (from either the QS8s or the R3s) would fill the room without rebounding off the rear. Also, without a rear wall, what would be the optimal positioning for either the QS8s or the R3s? And would it be desirable to have one driver pointed toward the listening area (again, this is without a rear wall), or would it be better to have all drivers firing away from the ears? Thanks in advance, guys!

TonyWright

Second Unit
Geo, I can't really make a suggestion based on the "suggested" placement of a dipole speaker. I think it is generally recommended that you mount the speaker on a wall at least 2 feet above the listeners ear. I could be way off here.

I can tell you that mine are both on stands at listener ear height and they face the listener without any "angling" of the speaker to get one of the drivers to point at the listener.

I tried to mimic the way they would be positioned if they were to have been mounted on the wall. In my situation I cannot mount them on the wall because on one side of the room, there is no wall. :)

I also have a long room that has a good amount of space behind the listening position. I have had no problems with my speaker positions. That said, I have not tried mounting them in the rear.

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful. Sorry I couldn't give you a more straight forward answer.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help.

Tony

TonyWright

Second Unit
Good news...

The sub has arrived and I have packed it into my truck for transport home. I have a hard fiberglass tonneau cover over the bed of my truck so I had some difficulty. I had originally planned on resting the box on it's side, but it still wouldn't fit under the cover that way. Good thing I have a quad cab. Ultimately I had to take the sub out of the box and put it in the rear of the cab. Then collapse the box and put all of the packing material in the bed. Wow these things are big.

Only an hour left before I leave work for the day and then I'll start setting it all up when I get home.

I can't wait to fire this thing up. :D:D:D:D

Tony

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

She would but that center weighs 40lbs and the top of the RPTV is very narrow. I would need some sort or support system.

Has anyone ever seen anything like that?

Funny you mention that...but am having the same "problem"!

You see...I just took delivery of a new Onix/Rocket RSC 200 (a.k.a. "Bigfoot") center channel speaker and not only is this beautiful-looking brute of a box quite large but must weight a ton too, which makes it very unwieldy when it comes to be placed atop a TV set (my secondary HT system, the one am using the most now days, at least until the main HT system and room gets a makeover anyway, use a Sony XBR-800 40-inch CRT-based TV set as the video signals displaying device, whose plastic cabinet has a ledge of only 6 to 8 inches wide on the top section, so mounting the new cc speaker there is absolutely out of the question!

But I began to concoct an idea that would make it possible to still place the cc speaker on the top portion of the TV set regardless of its type:

...my idea (is already patented, so watch it......don't profit from it or I sue! :D )consists of building a "hatch" that would be placed at both sides--kind of straddling--as well as over the set, thus providing a "shelf" in which to mount the cc speaker.
The "hatch" has to be only wide enough to fit the width of the particular TV used, and deep enough so it can accommodate the speaker's depth. Bingo...another problem solved! :)

By the way...I would also tilt the cc speaker down a bit so that its output "fires" towards the listener (s) as well as coinciding with the one produced by the main L&R speakers... ;)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic...:

TonyWright

Second Unit
I had considered something like that in the past as well, but the wife was very strict about adding stuff to the family room. I have to be crafty when I embark on these endeavors... :D

Tony

JackRI

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Richard
Geo,

I don't think not having a back wall is going to be a major problem. From the Axiom FAQ:

Where should I place my surround speakers?
Ideally, surround speakers should be either wall-mounted or stand-mounted to either side of the couch or primary listening area, from one to six feet higher than seated listeners' ears, and slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area if you wish. Axiom's Quadpolar surrounds are especially versatile and can yield excellent performance with stand or wall-mounting to the rear as well as at side locations. (see our dedicated stands for the QS Surround speakers in the Store). Rear center speakers for 6.1 and 7.1 installations are intended to go on the rear wall at about the same height as the surround speakers.

This applies to the Axioms, I can't say what the R3 manufacturer would recommend. A lot of flexibility, as you can see. Just behind the listening area is generally preferred, but just forward of it is OK. I wouldn't aim the speakers at the listening area. The QS series speakers come with a wall bracket for hanging the speakers (go
here, and click on the word "bracket" in the text). Alternately, there is the optional (at extra cost) Full Metal Bracket which gives you more flexibility. I'd go with the enclosed bracket. The QS series speakers are VERY forgiving when it comes to placement.

Tony, "crafty" is good! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks