What's new

How can you hook up a RGB component Projector, from a Coaxial TV? (1 Viewer)

JerrySS

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry
Hey guys -
Haven't posted in a while, but I have an issue, that I can't get around. In my basement, I have an InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 projector hooked up. We've had it for years, and it works great. True, it only has RGB component input, but my DVD player looks great through the components, and does the XBox.
What doesn't look good is broadcast/cable TV. My TV that I "feed" the Projector from is a old 32" Panasonic Tube Tv, with a coaxial out and Yellow Video out. ....My Verizon Set-top box in the basement is not an HD box, and also has no component out, rather only Yellow Video and S-Video.
So, I am trying to see if there is a way to improve the image quality through the projector of Broadcast/Cable TV, instead of the crummy S-Video.
I have poked around to see about converters from coax to Component, but it's really confusing and doesn't seem like it would work -
Is there any way around this besides buying a HD Box ?, which the Wife™ does'nt want to - we already have 5 boxes in the house already and 1 HD Box, and she wants no more monthly bills on the cable.
Thanks !
Jerry

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
This is a classic example of "Garbage In, Garbage Out". There's no way around it. The larger you blow up the SD image, the worse it looks. Why don't you just watch broadcast TV/cable on the 32" TV, and use the DVD player and XBox with the projector?

JerrySS

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry
ehh, that's pretty much what I do now, but I figured if there was a simple way to bypass it that I couldnt' think of, I'd see if I could finagle it. It's a bit nicer to watch NFL on the big screen than the TV, even in SD - -in lieu of paying for another HD box.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I can't imagine watching a football game in SD with my projector. Talk about LOUSY image. It's about time you bought a 1080p projector, isn't it? :)

JerrySS

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry
Agreed - SD TV Stinks - But, when I watch my progressive scan DVD's via component, it looks great, (obviously HD would be better), but I don't think i am ready to pony up for a new projector quite yet - - - But, I do think I have to pony up for a HD box , though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks