1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I make my laser discs look better on my RPTV???

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by CraigK, Sep 1, 2003.

1. CraigK

CraigK Stunt Coordinator

Well...I am a dvd nut with close to 400 titles in my collection. But a long time ago in a home theatre very, very near I collected laser discs and also have quite the collection.

Currently, I have a laser player without a SVHS. For a monitor I have the 48" JVC I-Art RPTV AV-48WP30.

I did notice a cable at the local Radio Shack that is composite at the one end and SVHS on the other. Will this improve signal clarity or is this a useless cable to purchase?

So, what are my options for a better picture with my laser player???

Throw me a bone please and thanks in advance for anyone that replies.

2. Nestor Vargas

To my knowledge LD is a composite format, so use the composite connection. Try the LD FAQ on the archive of this forum and/or tell us What LD player do you have so other HTF members help you out. In my experience I use composite.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Yeah, just use composite. Your RPTV should have a decent comb filter. You'd probably have to spend a whole lot to get better comb filtering externally.

Probably, you'll need to get a better LD player if you want to improve the picture.

_Man_

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Man is right. The best way to go is to get a better player. It might be helpful if you list what LD player you currently have.

5. CraigK

CraigK Stunt Coordinator

Thanks gang.

If this helps at all, I have a Pioneer CLD S-201.

Where on this earth could I buy a BETTER Laser disc player now?

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Good question Craig,

I own a Marantz LV-520 and have been wondering what player would be a good one to replace the one I have? I am planing on uprading my 31" dvtv to a front projection unit with a 80" screen. So it would be nice to have a ld player with a better picture.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Most Pioneer Elite Models are a big improvement. Check out Rachael's "Do-Buys & Don't-Buys" in the LD FAQ area.
    Generally the HW 4 Sale forum is a good place to start

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    We discussed this subject in deapth very recently. A search should yield that thread.

9. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Screenwriter

I don't know if this will work, but a external line doubler, may do the trick. If the line doubler has a composite in and out,

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    An external linedoubler, even a very good one, might not help too much in his case unless the linedoubler can output via DVI and/or also upconvert to 1080i. I believe his JVC RPTV upconverts everything to 1080i (or is it a newer one that goes even higher?).

In any case, sounds like getting a better LD player is probably his best bet.

_Man_

11. Edward Brand

Edward Brand Agent

I agree that a better LD player will help, however I can attest to using an external line doubler/scaler to improve the picture quality. I have my cld-919 hooked up via s-vhs to a CENTERSTAGE CS-HD. The scaler spits out the signal component to my Toshiba rptv. I am very pleased with the picture quality of my LD collection especially the Star Wars Trilogy. The scaler de-interlaces and removes all combing in the picture to the extent that it looks almost as good as a non 16:9 enhanced dvd. The CS-HD scales everything to 16:9 for my rptv. This combination rocks. --Edward.