What's new

How can I make my laser discs look better on my RPTV??? (1 Viewer)

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator
Well...I am a dvd nut with close to 400 titles in my collection. But a long time ago in a home theatre very, very near I collected laser discs and also have quite the collection.

Currently, I have a laser player without a SVHS. For a monitor I have the 48" JVC I-Art RPTV AV-48WP30.

I did notice a cable at the local Radio Shack that is composite at the one end and SVHS on the other. Will this improve signal clarity or is this a useless cable to purchase?

So, what are my options for a better picture with my laser player???

Throw me a bone please and thanks in advance for anyone that replies.

To my knowledge LD is a composite format, so use the composite connection. Try the LD FAQ on the archive of this forum and/or tell us What LD player do you have so other HTF members help you out. In my experience I use composite.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, just use composite. Your RPTV should have a decent comb filter. You'd probably have to spend a whole lot to get better comb filtering externally.

Probably, you'll need to get a better LD player if you want to improve the picture.

_Man_

greg_t

Screenwriter
Man is right. The best way to go is to get a better player. It might be helpful if you list what LD player you currently have.

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks gang.

If this helps at all, I have a Pioneer CLD S-201.

Where on this earth could I buy a BETTER Laser disc player now?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Good question Craig,

I own a Marantz LV-520 and have been wondering what player would be a good one to replace the one I have? I am planing on uprading my 31" dvtv to a front projection unit with a 80" screen. So it would be nice to have a ld player with a better picture.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Most Pioneer Elite Models are a big improvement. Check out Rachael's "Do-Buys & Don't-Buys" in the LD FAQ area.
Generally the HW 4 Sale forum is a good place to start

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if this will work, but a external line doubler, may do the trick. If the line doubler has a composite in and out,

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
An external linedoubler, even a very good one, might not help too much in his case unless the linedoubler can output via DVI and/or also upconvert to 1080i. I believe his JVC RPTV upconverts everything to 1080i (or is it a newer one that goes even higher?).

In any case, sounds like getting a better LD player is probably his best bet.

_Man_

Edward Brand

Agent
I agree that a better LD player will help, however I can attest to using an external line doubler/scaler to improve the picture quality. I have my cld-919 hooked up via s-vhs to a CENTERSTAGE CS-HD. The scaler spits out the signal component to my Toshiba rptv. I am very pleased with the picture quality of my LD collection especially the Star Wars Trilogy. The scaler de-interlaces and removes all combing in the picture to the extent that it looks almost as good as a non 16:9 enhanced dvd. The CS-HD scales everything to 16:9 for my rptv. This combination rocks. --Edward.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks