What's new

How big is your dedicated Home Theater??? (1 Viewer)

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
13.5' x 23' with seating for 7. I thought that might be a bit small, but it turned out to be a good, intimate size.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Two PA posters in a row. I'm convinced Pennsylvania (central PA in particular) has a wonderful concentration of nice home theaters!

David

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Scott,

If you want the ability to occasionally host large screenings, but only need room for about 4 adults with comfortable seating on most occasions, you might want to consider having a smaller dedicated theater, and then use your garage for large screenings. This dual set-up has worked really well for me.

My dedicated theater is 15x24x9 with a 16x9 96" screen. It has room for about six adults comfortably, and a max of 12 using smaller theater chairs.

I have a three-car garage which is 22x30x9. For the screen I painted a side wall with Behr's Ultra-White to make a 16x9 160" screen. I bought harman/kardon's 'theater-in-a-box' 5.1 system which is surprisingly good yet economical. I permanently installed the speakers above and to the side of the screen and along the opposite wall so that they would not get in the way (although frankly, they are so small that no matter where I would have put them they would not have stood out.) I placed the sub against the rear wall as well, and then placed the AVR and player on the shelf above the sub.

I have a couple projectors, so in theory I could also keep one in the garage, but besides the concern about keeping a projector for that long a period with various degrees of humidity, I also prefer using the projector from the dedicated theater for HT use, where as the 2nd projector I use for travel.

Regardless, with digital projectors it is extraordinarily easy to move it around, so there would be no need whatsoever to have two projectors. The audio equipment and speakers are a different story as that can be time consuming to have to set them up and break them down every time. In addition, the cost nowadays of that equipment and their high tolerance for humidity and temperature swings is such that purchasing the extra equipment and keeping it in the garage can be a very reasonable and economical solution.

To improve the acoustics, I lay down carpet which I keep rolled up and ready to do in the garage. This not only makes a huge improvement on the acoustics, especially with the base, but it also makes a comfortable place for kids to lie down closest to the screen, which has become the favorite spot with the neighborhood kids.

We have had as many as thirty people in the garage for screenings, and could have fit more if needed. If we only use two of the bays we can fit close to twenty.

For really large screenings I've also built an outdoor 16x9 196" screen, but this takes a good deal of effort to set-up and store, and you are very limited by weather conditions.

I hope this is of some use and gives you some additional options to consider.

Good luck, and let us know how your project progresses.

RonKath

Auditioning
Hi we are Ron and Kathy from Saint Louis and new to the forum. We are in the same situation sort of. WE just bought a home and have a room I now have for a project that will take a while on budget of course now being wealthy but loving home theater.
We have a room that is 16 feet by 13.5 feet one window only. I want to know being novice admiditly to this what is the largest screen we could get by with in this size room and the max seating with either theater seats like the shows have or possibley 2 small sofas if feasable nothing with reclining foot rest, also I have a one way from outer wall to back wall cathedrial slope. Any help would be appreciated, we are going to have only a budget of approx 4 to 7 thousand right now.
thank you all for a great find in this forum
Ron and Kathy

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
My theater(Cinema 34), is 14'wide and 26' deep with a 7'2" ceiling. It has La-z-boy theater seating for 8 in 2 rows of 4. The first row is 12' back from the 106" screen and the second row sits on a riser which is 8" high,5'deep and 14' wide. Pictures of it can be viewed in the members gallery. ;)

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Mine is narrow and long. About 10' wide and about 20' long. It has 7' ceiling in most places, but some of the duct work is lower. It's going to be great when I'm done.

Don

RonKath

Auditioning
Hi Ken your theater is what I can only dream of I dont have that kind of room nor do I have that kind of money to spend unfortunately. I have to say that is one of the most knock out rooms I seen and the colors are what I like to.
Ron

Thats pretty close to the area I have... After the drywall and Framing goes in....

How are you going to lay it out??? All the Equiptment and furniture? How many people will you seat???

RonKath

Auditioning
What our budget is first is easy to explain, we are not wealthy, we bought a new modular home no basement no garrage 1850 sq ft and have the room of 16 by 13.5 to work with.
We are moving in to it in mid January 06. I have now only 2500 to get the project started as this will be a room that is going to be a hobby on the side building it and when its done that is when it is done lol.
I will have approx 1000 to 1500 a month every month to put into that room so I can only do each month what I can acomplish with that budget till it gets done.
I should also get approx 7000 back in taxes this year so that will go into the room when that comes also.
What we would like to end up with and what we will end up with may be two different thing but here is what we would like to end up with:
A dedicated theater room, fixed screen hopefully a screen size 16:9 and a size minimum of approx. 4ft by 8ft. We would like to have seating for 6 to 8 if possible in the room so we have to decide the type of seating that will hopefully allow that in the space we have. I would like to have lighting that I can dim all at once together to a very low ambient like the theater almost total darkness but a very slight light possibly some rope lighting on floor etc and sconces dimming on wall. A projector that will allow that many seats that is viewable at the range we will be in on a screen the size we want.
Sound in a way has no budget what I can buy monthly is what I can buy till done is all. Speaker size now after reading is irrelevent as is sub size. I dont want to blow my neighbors off the foundation having them call cops all the time but want as you say good quality sound that is loud enough to impress us of course as well as company but no need to blow the walls apart. Also my wife says she would like to have a panel somewhow if possible with fiber obtic stars that I dont know about yet.
So there is what we are looking to acomplish in a nut shell and how much monthly we can spend to get there. Any ideas fire away.
thanks
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks