What's new

How accurate is the grayscale on a typical Samsung direct-view monitor? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking of picking up a TXN3271HF at a good price. What sells me on it is the 16:9 raster-collapse mode. And that price.

So, how are Samsung direct-views out of the box? How off are the grayscales? If the Warm color-temp setting is not too terribly blue, I would definitely be tempted.

Also, I'd like to know about any reliability issues any of you have encountered.

Thanks!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Grayscale = all over the map. REcommend you try to eyeball the grayscale in interim ... since should not be that hard.

Regards

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

Michael is right. Grayscale on these sets is all over out of the box; in fact, their "torch mode" is one of the worst I have ever seen for a direct view. After calibration these sets are not bad though. I would recommend getting it and running Avia/Video Essentials on it as soon as possible to keep from any unnecessary wear.

Regards,

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
David,
What were we using in ISF seminars along with the Loewes?
Was that a Samsung or a Sampo direct view?
It was incapable of being accurately calibrated.
(Mysteriously it was absent in Phoenix...any explanations? :) )

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

I think it was a Sampo that you are referring to, but I am not sure. I will be assisting at the next two seminars coming up in NJ and Boston. I will let you know what shows up.

Regards,

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, then, calibrators: Can the Samsung's grayscale be tamed to within plus/minus 500 degrees or so across most of the range? But I guess it's all moot as I'll most likely fork over a couple hundred more for a decent Toshiba.

Also, remember how the first of the newer Sampo direct-view sets were so praised by The Perfect Vision when the brand resumed importing into the U.S. market about three years ago? Guess the magazine received a very carefully put-together set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks