What's new

HOUSEKEEPING (1 Viewer)

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
I had been to Ebertfest in 2004 and 2005, and wanted to return this year because it was 20 years ago this month that I moved to Champaign-Urbana to begin my IT career, and I have many good memories of attending films at the historic Virginia Theatre (which hosts Ebertfest) and the nearby Nuart Theater, which is where I got my first regular exposure to foreign and independent flicks. I was thinking during my drive home that I probably won't be going back again for a while, but this morning Roger Ebert blogged about how he's trying to get Joe Vs. the Volcano for one of his upcoming Ebertfests... if he does, I'll definitely be going back.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Jerry,
Thanks so much for your review. Housekeeping is my favorite film, and I would have loved to have been there:frowning:. Did you like the film a lot, or not so much?
I actually didn't think there would be any talk of a possible dvd. The movie is from Columbia pictures which Sony owns. Sony has a terrible track record for releasing any catalog titles, especially lesser known catalog titles. I would settle for a laserdisc version of the film(if there were one) , but it looks like I will have to be happy with the vhs for a long while yet. This film has been ignored for too long, and that is just sad.

I'm glad you had a good time, and experienced Housekeeping on the big screen(very envious). Hearing about Bill Forsyth's retirement is very sad news. I think cinema is taking a constant turn for the worse. We are losing many film makers who make quiet, thought provoking films. Well, at least Breaking In(his film after Housekeeping starring Burt Reynolds) is available on dvd.

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan, I did like the film a lot. I purposely did not give an opinion yesterday because I wanted to let it stew in my brain a while longer. But Housekeeping is sticking with me more than any of the others at the festival, although of course it was the last one I saw there. The only other Forsyth films I've seen have been Local Hero and Gregory's Girl, so I want to check out any others that are on DVD, such as Breaking In which you mentioned.

Some day Housekeeping and the others will make their appearance. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
If you've got a region-free player COMFORT AND JOY (my second favorite Forsyth film) and GREGORY'S OTHER GIRL are available in R2.

It really is a shame that he has retired.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Thanks Jerry.
Sorry for pestering you about the movie. I just sort of geeked out about the thought of seeing it on the big screen, and my curiosity got the best of me. Thanks for all the input about your experience:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks