What's new

House season 4 thread (1 Viewer)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Never been in this thread (Hello, everyone!), but I have caught and enjoyed an occasional episode of House. I lucked into last week's "part 1" and was really excited to see the finale. I was actually surprised to see Quentin's post above, since I had a completely opposite reaction. The emotion of the episode really got to me. I didn't catch the whole lead-up with Amber in the beginning of the season, but I saw the episode where House discovered Wilson was dating her. I thought they handled very well the scene where Wilson had to tell Amber what happened, and for her to realize she would die. It was very heart-wrenching without being melodramatic. A strong hour of television in my opinion, and it has actually enticed me to tune in more often.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Cuddy and House probably have the strongest relationship of any two characters on the show. He drives her crazy because his role is to drive her crazy. But if she was bedridden and comatose, it wouldn't shock me to see him sleeping at her side. And you have to remember that for once House was in the state he was in for an entirely selfless reason. It opens up a whole new side of what he is capable of that nobody on the show had ever seen before. Cuddy sticks around because what House did was noble.
My favorite moment in the episode, though, was Chase giving Foreman's shoulder a squeeze as the original team detoxed emotional at the restaurant. It really says something that they reached a place of being more than coworkers and real true friends. I also liked the revelation about Kutner's family, which really casts his happy-go-lucky personality into sharp relief.

Probably my favorite season finale on the show ever, because when you strip away the gimmicky nature of the perspective it was still just another medical mystery of the week, and it managed to stir up all of these emotions.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Just to lighten the mood a little -

Was anyone else hoping that the secret of 13's odd behavior was going to be that she had a crush on Amber? That could have given House an excuse for a really good dream sequence. :)

Regards,

Joe

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Excellent post, Adam! :emoji_thumbsup: No one can ever say that House has no compassion for anyone, not after last night.

My heart broke for Wilson, that scene when he went home and layed down on the bed and she wasn't there, never to be there again, was brutal, and then he found the note. :frowning:

So, what is this disease that 13 has? Is it some form of cancer? I'm usually good at knowing the names of all the major diseases but i'm drawing a blank on Huntington's.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just got through all the TIVO catchup of the episodes since the Super Bowl that I saw live and all I can say is ........ Heck, I can't say anything other than I'm just absolutely completely stunned.

After not watching much since the Strike stopped episodes, I had forgotten just how good the writing is on this show. The last 2 shows were just plain brilliantly written on so many levels. I agree that the last 10 minutes sets up so many possibilities for next season.

For a couple medical questions raised above:

Huntington's Disease (of H. chorea) is a horrible genetic disease with nearly a 50% transmission from Parents to children and has got to be one of the worst things to watch happen to anyone. It takes a totally healthy person and destroys them a piece at a time at a young enough age that most of their children get to watch and then knowing that it is 50/50 you will do the same thing -- think ALS plus Alzheimers combined in a 30-40yo. This is a reason that many people just refuse to be tested even though the genetic test has been known for a long time. Woody Guthrie died of this among many. The rate of suicide is extreme is many of the people who have it in their family and just can't deal with knowing what's ahead for them (and their family) often before even the 1st symptom appears. Others go the other direction and either are relieved in the test is negative or the other extreme if positive "Go for the Gusto" knowing that their time is somewhat limited.

Amantadine is an older Flu medicine and is something that has been prescribed for Influenza (or even as a preventative after known exposure) for decades to millions of people so nothing special about Amber being on it other than the fact she didn't appear all that sick. There was no mention from Wilson that she had anything but a runny nose and he even thought she was working. With the typical 104+ fever, shaking chills, incapacitating body aches and headache, nonstop cough, many people are just plain nonfunctional and most Doctors wouldn't be around patients at all if they suspected they had true Influenza. Regardless of what some people believe Influenza ain't just a cold ("Oooh I had the flu and missed 2 days of work" is just plain fantasy). The only truly unrealistic thing would be she would have been on a 20+yo med and not one of the better choices (Rimantidine basically replaced it in the early 90's and Relenza or more likely Tamiflu over the last decade) since Amantadine is virtually never used anymore since most of the Influenza over the last 10 years has basically been resistant to it. I haven't even seen a Rx written for it at all since 1996.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Having gone through my first year of medical school, I've got to say that Huntington's is one of the worst death sentences you can possibly have. We got to see neurology videos comparing Huntington's with Parkinson's. Not a pretty sight.

Anywho, wanted to chime in and say I liked the last two episodes of House although I thought they could've done a better job with developing Wilson and Amber's relationship although I think the writer's strike could've had something to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks