What's new

3D Blu-ray Review House of Wax: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Most likely they did an initial run of 3000-5000 and that supply is finally exhausted. They'll press more.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Finally picked this up at a Best Buy about 30 miles from my house, paid less than $30 for it. Stunning 3D, and was kind of fun to see an old Cinekyd alum. Eric Kurland, demonstrate the 3D cameras used in the film in the new documentary.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That Natural Vision rig was rescued from the Dan Symmes' Estate. His ex-wife was going to junk it!

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Ronald Epstein said:
Yeah, I would say wait it out. $32 on Amazon?! Unreal.
Hardly a bank breaker.
House of Wax has been a high priced title ever since it was released.
$44 on Amazon Canada and its been around that price since the day it came out.
No evidence I can find to suggest why though.
Great disc though regardless

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
bluelaughaminute said:
Hardly a bank breaker.
House of Wax has been a high priced title ever since it was released.
$44 on Amazon Canada and its been around that price since the day it came out.
No evidence I can find to suggest why though.
Great disc though regardless
Agreed. I paid $44.99 for it in the one store in Vancouver that had it. I handed the money to a human being employed there, who gouged me 99 cents. I'm such a chump.

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
davidmatychuk said:
Agreed. I paid $44.99 for it in the one store in Vancouver that had it. I handed the money to a human being employed there, who gouged me 99 cents. I'm such a chump.
I was expecting it to decrease at some point.
When Dial M For Murder came out it too was quite expensive compared to similar titles . Here in the UK it was £17.99 as a new release.
But within days it was possible to buy the Hitchcock boxset that includes DMFM with Strangers On a Train and North by Northwest for only £11 !!
So I bought that , returned the DMFM and then sold NBNW on Amazon ( as I already had the digibook) so I pretty much got SOAT for nothing .
Curious pricing for Warner , specially releasing such a boxset simultaneously with the individual release.

The US release of DMFM was about a month earlier than the UK but it too was more expensive than usual so I waited for the UK one

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think I paid about $26 from Amazon for the disc -- I preordered it when it first was announced, so I got whatever the lowest price they offered on it was. It did seem a little on the high side for a single disc release, but it's got some pretty cool bonus features (the documentary, the commentary, the earlier 1930s film version of the story), so I don't feel that I overpaid.

More disappointing -- and this isn't anything wrong with the disc but rather my equipment -- is that there's a fair amount of ghosting/crosstalk on my display. It wasn't unwatchable, but it wasn't the near-pristine theatrical viewing experience I had had a few years earlier in dual-35mm projection. Hopefully the next display I get will do a little better with it. (I also didn't spend a lot of time playing with the 3D settings on my TV to see if I could get the disc to look a little better.) Bottom line, even with the less-than-perfect job my TV has done displaying this title, I'm still very, very happy to have it.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I paid under $30.00 for HOUSE OF WAX at Best Buy, last October, and didn't have to wait for it. I just walked out of the store, went home, and watched it.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I don't even have 3D capability, but for 7.99 today at amzn I got this one. Saw part of it as a child, and was haunted (in a good way) by the idea. Looking forward to it in 2D.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I really like this film but also don't have 3D capability. It's very much worth $7.99 to upgrade my DVD copy. :)

I also like that they kept Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) as a bonus on the disc.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Finally watching House of Wax for the first time in 2D, since I don't have a 3D set-up. But even in 2D Vincent Price is wonderful. Fun film!

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I really like this film but also don't have 3D capability. It's very much worth $7.99 to upgrade my DVD copy. :)

I also like that they kept Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) as a bonus on the disc.

I am glad also, but they still haven't color-corrected it.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
It was filmed in two-strip Technicolor, I'm not sure how much color correction there can be.

WB introduced an inaccurate and completely unnecessary color "correction" when they first released it to DVD. The old TV prints, LD and VHS copies had the correct red/green colors that could be achieved with Two Color Technicolor. When they prepared the master for DVD though, they shifted the color palette to include a blue that would not have been possible at the time (Fay Wray's suit, for example, should be a deep green velvet, not deep blue, as there was no blue available in that process) and it pulls the whole picture toward a sickly pink. I think what Dick means by color correction is correcting that mistake and returning the colors to their proper red/green combination, which they haven't done on this re-release.

DOCTOR X has the right color palette on DVD but WAX MUSEUM doesn't.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
WB introduced an inaccurate and completely unnecessary color "correction" when they first released it to DVD. The old TV prints, LD and VHS copies had the correct red/green colors that could be achieved with Two Color Technicolor. When they prepared the master for DVD though, they shifted the color palette to include a blue that would not have been possible at the time (Fay Wray's suit, for example, should be a deep green velvet, not deep blue, as there was no blue available in that process) and it pulls the whole picture toward a sickly pink. I think what Dick means by color correction is correcting that mistake and returning the colors to their proper red/green combination, which they haven't done on this re-release.

DOCTOR X has the right color palette on DVD but WAX MUSEUM doesn't.

Ahhh, I understand.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
And it goes without saying that it's ridiculous how theaters have been charging EXTRA for 3D movies- they never charged extra for them in the 50s or 80s. I would have gone to EVERY 3D movie had they not been charging extra, although just regular theater prices are already much too high, but because of the extra charge I've only been to a few. Buying 3D Blu-Rays is a much better value.

You're wrong about that. Theatres all charged more for 3D in the 50's... they had to. For one thing you were given polaroid glasses (which you got to keep) to watch the movie with and then the projectionists union usually made the cinemas hire an extra projectionist for 3D presentations. 3D required two projectors running simultaneously and in in perfect synch (it was a bitch to work with). In actual fact, it often resulted in out of synch projection causing eye strain and headaches. The pissed off audience had no idea what caused this, blaming the 3D process, not realizing that it wasn't 3D that caused it, but rather the primitive projection technology of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks